Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Police dig into nurse Mary Wallace's unsolved murder

  1. #11
    Senior CCF Detective eagleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The nest


    The last man seen with Sydney nurse Mary Louise Wallace before she vanished told another woman he was a suspect in the case, saying: "You'd better watch out, I might hit you over the head and rape you."

    Ms Wallace, 33, was last seen in the early hours of September 24, 1983, at the Alpine Inn at Crows Nest in North Sydney.

    An inquest into her disappearance and presumed death has heard she was last seen in the car of Robert Adams, a convicted rapist with a history of violence towards women.

    In the Glebe Coroners Court on Wednesday, Susan Holman, a former manager of a kiosk at the Lane Cove National Park, gave evidence that Mr Adams approached her in October 1983.

    The New Zealand-born carpenter was employed at the time on the construction of an observation deck at the park.

    Mr Adams said he "just went up the road to get rid of $10,000" because "police are investigating my money situation to find out why I have had two new cars in the past four years", Ms Holman told the inquest.

    He then said: "You know the nurse that went missing from Crows Nest? I'm on suspicion for murdering her.

    "I don't look like I've got a murderous face, do I?"

    Ms Holman said he told her he had picked Ms Wallace up and "drove around the corner because I didn't want to drive her home as she lived on the other side of the bridge".

    He said he had "flaked out" and when he woke up, his pants were down around his knees.

    He later told Ms Holman: "You'd better watch out, I might hit you over the head and rape you".

    She said she replied: "Try it and you'll find a knife in your guts."

    Later that day he returned to buy an ice cream and offered to fix a mouse problem in Ms Holman's kiosk, before lifting a coffee cup on the counter to reveal a funnel web spider.

    In another incident, Ms Holman said, he had grabbed her and rubbed up and down her side before she "wriggled" out of his grasp.

    Her partner at the time, Alan Cook, gave evidence thatMs Holman was "distressed, shaken, nervous, scared" after she encountered Mr Adams.

    He accompanied her to Chatswood Police Station to report the incidents and accompanied her to work for two days before Ms Holman left the job.

    The inquest continues before coroner Paul MacMahon.

    Kiosk worker menaced after nurse vanished

    • Advertising

      has no influence
      on advertisings
      that are displayed


  2. #12
    Senior CCF Detective eagleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The nest


    THE man police have told the state coroner they believe raped and killed missing nurse Mary Wallace allegedly joked about his suspected involvement, asking a woman he had just met: "I don't look like I've got a murderous face, do I?"

    Robert Adams then put his hand around her waist and started to rub her up and down, Susan Holman yesterday told the inquest into Ms Wallace's disappearance. When she reported his behaviour to police, they warned her to be "very, very careful of this person", the inquest at Glebe Coroner's Court was told.

    Ms Holman, 47, was the manager of the kiosk at what is now Lane Cove National Park where Adams, 58, was working as a carpenter at the time he gave Ms Wallace a lift home from a Crows Nest wine bar in September 1983.

    She was never seen again.

    Police have searched the national park but the inquest has been told that there are rugged areas where a "body would be hard to find".

    Adams -who the inquest heard was a convicted rapist with a history of violence towards women - has denied having anything to do with Ms Wallace's disappearance, claiming he fell asleep after they had sex in his car and, when he woke, she was gone.

    Ms Holman had only been working at the kiosk for two days when Adams turned up in October 1983.

    She said she knew about the missing nurse from news reports but did not know police had a suspect.

    She said Mr Adams had asked her: "You know the nurse that went missing from Crows Nest? "I'm on suspicion for murdering her."

    She claimed that he also said to her: "You had better watch out, I might hit you over the head and rape you."

    Ms Holman said her father had taught her self-defence with a knife and she had told Adams: "Try it and you will find a knife in your guts."

    Later that day Ms Holman said he returned to buy a Cornetto and said he had found a way to fix the mouse problem in the kiosk - a funnel web spider which he had hidden in a coffee cup he placed on the counter.

    She quit the job at the kiosk two days later.

    Two of Ms Wallace's former boyfriends, Frank Barbara and David Wheeler, yesterday denied having anything to do with her disappearance. Police have never found the man who Ms Wallace told friends had bashed her in the face outside a bar on the night she disappeared because she had refused to go with him.

    The inquest continues before deputy state coroner Paul MacMahon.

    'Do I look murderous?' - murder suspect's joke about missing nurse Mary Wallace | The Daily Telegraph

  3. #13
    Senior CCF Detective eagleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The nest


    THE first wife of convicted rapist and suspected killer Robert Adams told today how he had forced her to have sex and tried to strangle her during their marriage.

    Not looking at the man she married when he was 19 and she was 21, Judith Murrell said he had seemed a happy, fun person when they met a few months before marrying in September 1971.

    But their relationship changed when he began drinking heavily, she told Glebe Coroners Court.

    Ms Murrell was giving evidence at the inquest into the disappearance and suspected death of nurse Mary Wallace, 33.

    Ms Wallace was the head theatre sister at Hunters Hill Private Hospital when she vanished after getting into Adams car in September 1983 after a night drinking at the Alpine Inn wine bar at Crows Nest.

    Adams has denied having anything to do with her disappearance and claims that they had sex in his car before he fell asleep. When he woke up, she was gone.

    Ms Murrell said that after he had been drinking, Adams became violent.

    She claimed he punched her in the face, threw her against the wall, left red welts across her back with a dog chain and twice frightened her when he put his hands around her neck.

    She said that she had not gone to police because she had been ashamed and frightened. She explained why she did not report him for allegedly forcing her to have sex.

    "Because we were married," she said.

    "It's not legal to rape anyone at any time but you just feel he's your husband."

    The couple split up in 1974.

    The inquest has heard that Adams, 58, pleaded guilty to rape in 1976 and was jailed for six years with a non-parole period of 12 months.

    The inquest before deputy state coroner Paul MacMahon continues.

    Suspected killer Robert Adams' ex-wife reveals: 'He tried to strangle me' | The Daily Telegraph

  4. #14
    Senior CCF Detective eagleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The nest


    "IF YOU don't touch me by the time I count five, I'll choke and kill you. You won't be able to talk when you're dead" -- Robert Adams to rape victim
    AN INQUEST into the disappearance of a Sydney nurse 27 years ago might raise as many questions as it answers


    IT COULD have been any Friday night but this was always going to be a big one. One of the theatre nurses at Hunters Hill Private Hospital was moving on and her boss, Mary Wallace, had organised the leaving do.

    They all met up at the Malay restaurant in North Sydney where the food arrived at their tables so late that the nurses were a tad tipsy by the time they ate.

    It could have been any bar, but after dinner Mary and some of the group moved on to the Stoned Crow wine bar and then the Alpine Inn. By this time it was the early hours of the Saturday morning and Mary was, to put it bluntly, smashed.

    As nursing sister in charge of the hospital's operating theatre in September 1983, Mary, 33, was dedicated, responsible and dependable. At work.

    At night, she loved to party. She was single, attractive and bubbly, and she liked a drink or three. With the long sleeves of her black fluffy v-necked jumper pushed up to her elbows, Mary was relaxed.

    Laughing and giggling and a bit wobbly on her feet, she had been together enough to have had a row with one man who had earlier wanted her to leave with him. She told friends that he had hit her in the face.

    At the Alpine Inn, she was soon being chatted up by a tall, good-looking Kiwi who sat down at her table. None of her friends knew him but he seemed genuine enough and he told one of them that he was a policeman.

    When her friends became concerned because Mary had disappeared to the toilet, he went to her rescue, kicking the door open to find her sitting with her head slumped on her knees.

    At 4am on September 24, the bar was emptying and Mary and her friends stumbled outside. A vacant taxi could have gone past at that moment. It didn't.

    The new guy had offered her a lift. She could have refused but she got into the front seat of his Holden, a Commodore with he-man bull bars on the front. He could have been anyone. He wasn't. He was Robert Adams.


    "He had blue eyes, medium to large build and appeared solid. He was good-looking. He had a nice smile and seemed nice enough"-- One of Adams' alleged victims


    So do lives converge. We all have free will, we make our own decisions. Yet events often outside our control can change the course of the future.

    Ms Wallace was never seen again. Adams has never been charged over her disappearance.

    Meanwhile, he is now 58, married to Linda, whom he met just weeks after Ms Wallace disappeared. They have four sons. This week, as he smoked cheroots through his heavy beard and downed a coke at a cafe close to Glebe Coroner's Court, he bemoaned that he couldn't afford a lawyer to represent him in court where his past had returned to whack him in the face.

    He had asked deputy state coroner Paul MacMahon to suppress his name because, while his grown-up kids "knew roughly" what had gone on, he didn't want anyone else to know. The coroner refused.

    Adams denies having anything to do with Ms Wallace's disappearance and says he just wants his name cleared. He says they had sex in the car and then he fell asleep. When he woke, she was gone.

    Twenty-seven years after the much-loved nursing sister got into his car, allegations about Adams' trail of violence have only just been revealed this week as the inquest into Ms Wallace's disappearance and suspected murder unfolded before deputy state coroner Paul MacMahon.

    Adams seemed to have no problem pulling women despite his nickname: Bob the Yob. A flatmate sharing with him in Chatswood at the time Ms Wallace vanished told the inquest he brought a different woman home most Friday nights. On the evening of the day the nurse disappeared, Adams had sex twice with a neighbour from over the road.

    He even tried it on with his female flatmate, a friend of hers and the woman who ran the kiosk at Lane Cove National Park, where he was working as a carpenter.

    But while he was considered good-looking and presentable, the truth was that he had the ability to charm women into trusting him before exploding into sexually-driven violence, testified the unsolved homicide squad's Detective Senior Constable Nicole Jones, who took over the Wallace case when it was reopened in 2008.

    "He had a nice smile and seemed nice enough," a shop assistant, who met him in a coffee shop and made the mistake of getting into his car in August, 1975, told the inquest. Speaking quietly but firmly, she said Adams, who had a girlfriend at the time, had invited her for dinner at a Chinese restaurant but instead took her back to his home because he said he needed to change his clothes.

    He put both hands around her neck, strangling her until she could hardly breathe, before raping her, she claimed.

    Adams later claimed in court the sex was consensual. He was committed for trial for rape but the woman fled to Darwin, not even telling police where she had gone and the trial never went ahead.

    "I was totally terrified of Mr Adams," she said this week as she faced him for the first time in 35 years.

    Adams said that the charge against him had never been tested in court.

    Passing at the door of the courtroom, the next witness was another woman who wished she had never got into his car. The school teacher met him on the dance floor of the Skiff Club at the Spit in May, 1976. After she got into his car, he drove to the farthest end of the carpark, where he put his left hand around her throat and pressed down until she couldn't breathe properly. Then he raped her.

    Adams pleaded guilty and on September 28, 1976, he was jailed for six years with 12 months non-parole. This week he apologised to her in court.

    Six months after he was released on parole in April 1978, he claimed his next victim. They had met on the dance floor of Matches restaurant in North Sydney and after he drove her home, she'd invited him in.

    He threw her on the floor and threatened to rape her before she escaped.

    For that assault, he was fined $100 and returned to jail, his parole revoked. In February, 1980, he was again released on parole, which expired on June 24, 1983.

    "The [disappearance of Ms Wallace] occurred almost exactly three months after the expiry of his parole when Adams may no longer have felt it necessary to be as cautious," Philip Strickland, counsel assisting the coroner, told the inquiry.

    Then, on September 29, 1983 - five days after Ms Wallace got into Adams' car - another woman contacted the police.

    She had seen a photo of Adams that had been shown on the TV news.

    This time it was another young nurse who said it was the same man she had been with at the Alpine Inn in April 1983 - and who, she claimed, had attacked her in her flat afterwards.

    Adams was acquitted at trial of her indecent assault. That woman has since died.


    "As far as I'm concerned she was just a slut, her boobs hanging out, just a slutty- looking girl" -- Robert Adams talking about his school teacher rape victim with his probation officer


    In the late 1970s and early 1980s, they were a bunch of 20-somethings, some of them in their early 30s, who shared flats, invited each other to champagne breakfasts, often drank too much and sometimes went home with each other. Older, greyer, in most cases a bit heavier and surely much wiser, this week friends and associates of Mary Wallace - and some who only met her on the night she disappeared - have helped the coroner build up a picture of her last hours.

    Adams only knew her for about three hours. Two days after she vanished, he cleaned out his car, washed seat covers, hosed out the boot; checking, he said, for leaks.

    The retired homicide detective who led the first investigation, Jim Counsel, said Adams had been a suspect but they had no body.

    Ms Wallace's remains have still not been found, despite extensive searches of the Lane Cove National Park and an anonymous poem that claimed her bush grave was in rugged terrain at Cowan Creek at suburban North Turramurra.

    Others from that era who knew Adams also gave evidence, including the captain of the Cammeray Northbridge Rugby Club, where Adams played prop because he was the strongest member of the team.

    There was evidence that while he picked up plenty of women, Adams seemed to show many of them little respect: he believed if they agreed to get into his car or go home with him, they were "sluts" who were up for sex.

    His first wife, Judith Murrell, who married Adams in 1971, told the inquiry she, too, had felt his hands around her throat. She said he had "two different personalities: one kind and attentive, the other impulsively violent, both towards her and towards other people generally".

    The day she went missing, Mary Wallace was expected at a barbecue at the Middle Cove home of her parents John and Dorothy Wallace.

    When she didn't turn up, her dad reported her missing. Mr and Mrs Wallace have since died, but representing them in the back of the courtroom this week has been one of Mary's two sisters, Anne, and her husband and brother-in-law.

    The inquest continues.

    Missing nurse and trail of violence | The Daily Telegraph

  5. #15
    Senior CCF Detective eagleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The nest


    Linda Adams, met Robert Adams about three weeks after nursing sister Mary Wallace vanished after getting into his car at 4am on Saturday, September 24, 1983, for a lift home from a Crows Nest wine bar, reported The Daily Telegraph.

    Robert Adams, nicknamed Bob the Yob, denies having anything to do with Ms Wallace's disappearance and said he had fallen asleep after they had sex in his car. When he woke up, she had gone.

    Yesterday his wife, with whom he has four sons, told the inquest into Ms Wallace's disappearance that they had not had much discussion about the events of September 24. Linda Adams, a former hospital receptionist, said she had considered it a "one night stand".

    "He had sex with her in the car and I wasn't around then and I was sleeping with other blokes myself," she told the inquest. "It's what you did when you pick someone up."

    Counsel assisting the inquest Philip Strickland asked her about the years after she met Adams: "Did it play on your mind that Bob was a suspect in the missing nurse?"

    Ms Adams: "No. I know it sounds awful but no. The answer is no." She said she never discussed it with her late father, a police officer for 25 years.

    She and Adams met in early October 1983 at the Cammeray Northbridge Rugby Club where Adams played. For recreation, they partied and did "a lot of drinking", she said.

    He had been open with her that he had been jailed for rape and had a "lengthy criminal history", she said.

    Mr Strickland: "Did you ever discuss with Bob the facts of the rape for which he was convicted?"

    Ms Adams: "Not the facts, no."

    The inquest has been told that he pleaded guilty to raping a school teacher in 1976 in his car. He forced her to have sex after choking her. He was jailed for six years with a minimum of 12 months.

    Ms Adams said she would not have stayed with her husband if she believed he had anything to do with Ms Wallace's disappearance or death.

    The inquest has been told that Adams has a history of violence towards women. His ex-wife has claimed he punched and choked her.

    Yesterday Robert Adams had only two questions for his wife.

    "I have never hit you?" he asked.

    Ms Adams: "No."

    Adams: "Have I ever hit the kids?" Ms Adams: "No."

    The inquest continues.

    Read more: Wife of man suspected of murdering nurse Mary Wallace knew he was a convicted rapist |

  6. #16
    Senior CCF Detective eagleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The nest


    They have paraded through the Glebe Coroner's Court witness box all week, respectable middle-aged men and women, sadder and a little jaded, not the bright young adults of the early 1980s, enjoying their leisure hours on Sydney's lower north shore, drinking and partying.

    A great pall had fallen over their lives on September 24, 1983, when nurse Mary Louise Wallace, intoxicated, leaving the Alpine Inn in Crows Nest at about 3.15am, accepted a lift from Robert John Adams and was never seen again. Soon after, Adams, now 58, became a suspect in her disappearance.

    The court heard that Adams, born in Christchurch, New Zealand, in 1952, had migrated to Australia in December 1970 after enduring a disturbed childhood and with a juvenile criminal record. Outgoing, well-built and good looking, he had little trouble attracting female attention, marrying 21-year-old Judith Herrod in 1971. The couple had a baby in March the following year, adopted the child out and settled briefly in Queensland.

    Adams, who could neither read nor write, worked as a railway labourer, carpenter and furniture maker. But he started to drink heavily and became violent. So violent that Herrod, who gave evidence this week that he twice tried to throttle her, left him for good in 1974.

    Earlier on the night of September 24, Adams had purported to be a policeman, and Wallace might well have accepted this and thought he would get her safely home. He did not. The trip was apparently short.

    Adams was drunk and in no fit state to drive. He said he had sex with Wallace in the car and then went to sleep. He did not know what happened to her after that. Wallace, then 33, a bright, fun-loving woman, close to family and friends, a highly regarded nurse at the Hunters Hill Private Hospital, was never heard of again.

    By now, Adams had an adult criminal record, including using unseemly words, assaulting police, possessing Indian hemp, assault, malicious injury, negligent driving and possessing goods in custody.

    In September 1976 he had been sentenced to six years jail for rape, with 12 months non-parole. He was released in 1978, only to sexually assault another woman and have his parole revoked. Both victims said he had throttled them to the point where they were afraid for their lives.

    Released again in 1980, Adams finished his parole period on June 24, 1983, exactly three months before Wallace disappeared. A policeman at the time said he had advised a young woman at the Alpine Inn not to go out with Adams because he was ''bad news''.

    Adams quickly justified the suspicion. He raped one woman after enticing her into his home, and the court heard this week she was so terrified that she fled town rather than give evidence at his Supreme Court trial. Another woman, whom he pushed into his car aiming to rape her, did give evidence and Adams was convicted.

    Suzanne Beckingham (now Newhouse), who shared his flat, said the day after Wallace's disappearance, Adams had washed clothes - unusual because he normally washed clothes on weekdays. He had then thoroughly cleaned his car, shifting everything out, using the hose and a vacuum cleaner.

    Some days later, on her account, police turned up and wanted to look at their flat. Adams rang and said: ''Why did you let them into the flat? They have no right.'' He was so aggressive she moved out.

    Adams, whose name and picture were being circulated by police, demonstrated bravado. He harassed a kiosk manager, 20, at the Lane Cove River National Park, where he was working as a carpenter, his behaviour so alarming her that she left her job.

    Meanwhile, police had found that Wallace had a number of boyfriends, two of whom gave evidence this week, and she also belonged to a telephone dating service. There was also evidence that earlier in the night of September 23-24, 1983, when she was moving from nightspot to nightspot with work colleagues, she had been at the Stoned Crow, a Crows Nest wine bar.

    She had been crying and said a man, whom she did not name or describe, had struck her in the face because she would not go out with him. Friends could see no marks on her face, the coroner's court heard.

    Police searched widely, including through the Lane Cove National Park and a viewing platform where Adams had been working. Eventually they dug up the 26 concrete piers there to see whether there was any trace of Wallace.

    Then in October 1983, the detective leading the inquiry, Jim Counsel, received an extraordinary note, written in childish script, naming Adams and Wallace, by their initials, giving part of the registration number of Adams's car, and saying he had killed her and indicating where the body could be found, in North Turramurra.

    The author ended the note with a plea: ''Help me please.'' A police search of the area proved fruitless, and the mystery remains as to who sent the note. Could it have been sent by Adams himself? Could he write just a little? Or could it have been sent by a stalker, someone shadowing Wallace that night?

    The police investigation was revived by the unsolved homicide team of the homicide squad in 2008.

    Adams, who is representing himself at the inquest, has denied involvement in Wallace's disappearance.

    No physical evidence could conclusively link Adams with Wallace's presumed murder. Police did find blood on some overalls from his car and on vice-grips found in the boot. But forensic techniques at the time could only establish that the blood could have come from Adams or Wallace. Adams, for his own part, married again in 1989 and no evidence has been presented that he has been in trouble since 1983.

    Yesterday Adams's present wife, Linda, whom he met in October 1983, about two weeks after the disappearance of Wallace, gave evidence of a long and stable marriage to him.

    Linda Adams, who had been working as receptionist at the Royal North Shore Hospital, said that she had accepted him even though at the time there was publicity over the disappearance of Wallace and some of the publicity indicated that he was a suspect. The couple have four sons.

    Philip Strickland, the counsel assisting the inquest, asked yesterday: ''When you had discovered he had been in jail for rape, had a criminal history and was a suspect in the disappearance of a girl, surely you are not saying it did not concern you at the time?''

    The wife replied: ''No doubt it would have but I am still here, so?''

    In 2008 the unsolved homicide team resumed an active inquiry. Senior Constable Nicole Jones said in her opinion, based on the circumstantial evidence, Adams had a window of opportunity and that he murdered Wallace and disposed of the body. But in 27 years, there has been no attempt to mount a prosecution.

    Whatever happened to Mary Wallace?

  7. #17
    Senior CCF Detective eagleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The nest


    ROBERT ADAMS, a prime suspect in the disappearance and presumed murder of the nurse Mary Louise Wallace, so frightened a one-time friend and boarder who asked him about it, that the man left Mr Adams's home and never saw him again, the State Coroner's Court heard yesterday.

    Ross Alan Adams (no relation) said he had been a flatmate of Robert Adams in September 1983 when Ms Wallace disappeared. Despite widespread publicity that said Robert Adams was a suspect, Ross Adams had believed in his friend's innocence.

    In 1986 Ross Adams was boarding with Robert and his wife, Linda Adams, and was drinking with Robert Adams in the Gladesville RSL club when he asked what Robert Adams knew about the nurse's disappearance.

    ''His response was, 'What is that to you?''' Ross Adams said. ''He turned round, looked into my face. He push me up off the chair and had his face close to mine. I felt cowed and chilled and felt that things were just not right, nor what they seem.''

    Robert Adams's demeanour had changed after that. Their conversation became stilted and Ross Adams decided to leave the house. He gave Robert Adams two weeks' notice, but Robert Adams told him he had ''three days'', then grabbed his head and pushed it between his knees so hard Ross Adams could barely breathe.

    Ross Adams decided to leave immediately.

    Ross Adams also wrote a letter which he gave to the president of the Cammeray-Northbridge rugby club, Daniel Moore, and had told him to keep it and if anything happened to him, to take it to the police.

    Mr Moore, called to give evidence yesterday before the Deputy State Coroner, Paul MacMahon, confirmed he had received the letter but said he no longer had it.

    Questioned by Philip Strickland, counsel assisting the inquest, Ross Adams said the letter had been about ''my own fears and my suspicions what had happened to Mary Wallace, that night at Gladesville and other things that had happened''.

    Ross Adams said that soon after the disappearance of Ms Wallace he had seen Robert Adams thoroughly cleaning the boot of his car. Robert Adams had said he had ''killed some ducks in Lane Cove National Park and had had them in the boot''.

    Robert Adams had also told him his account of what happened with Ms Wallace, that he had left the Alpine Inn in Crows Nest with her, had had sex in his car, gone to sleep and when he woke, she was gone. Ross Adams said he ''assumed'' that the sex was consensual.

    The inquiry continues.

    Nurse suspect terrified boarder

  8. #18
    Senior CCF Detective eagleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The nest


    The New South Wales Coroner has terminated an inquest into the disappearance and presumed death of a Sydney nurse.

    Mary Louise Wallace disappeared in the early hours of September the 24th, 1983.

    Police say the nurse, who was then 33, was last seen at the Alpine Inn hotel at Crows Nest in Sydney's north.

    They say she was seen getting into a car with Robert John Adams who she had met there.

    He told police he had driven with her only a short distance, had sex with her and had fallen asleep.

    In terminating the inquest Deputy State Coroner Paul MacMahon said the evidence is capable of satisfying a jury beyond reasonable doubt that a known person committed an indictable offence relating to the death.

    The matter has been referred to the DPP.

    Coroner refers nurse's suspected death to DPP - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

  9. #19
    Senior CCF Detective eagleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The nest


    IT was the moment they revealed the pain and anguish their family had suffered since their younger sister disappeared 27 years ago.
    But less than an hour after the sisters of missing nurse Mary Wallace told a court how their lives had been turned upside down, a coroner suspended the inquest and referred a person of interest to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

    Speaking publicly for the first time since the "bubbly and outgoing" 33-year-old vanished in 1983, Anne - who asked for her surname to be withheld for privacy reasons - told Glebe Coroner's Court her life changed forever when her sister disappeared.

    Choking back tears she said: "In our family she held a special place in our hearts. I know she loved us as much as we loved her. We love you Boo and we'll always miss you."

    Her other sister Elizabeth told the court via a statement that the anguish and heartache the family suffered when Mary went missing was "unbearable".

    The inquest previously heard that convicted rapist Robert Adams was the last person known to have seen Mary in September 1983 after he "rescued" her from a pub in Crows Nest and offered the intoxicated stranger a lift home.

    The court heard Mr Adams told police he drove as far as Willoughby with Ms Wallace before they had sex in his car. When he woke up she was gone. The court also last week heard Mr Adams had served time in jail for rape and had a history of assaults on women.

    After hearing submissions from Ms Wallace's sisters, deputy state coroner Paul MacMahon offered Mr Adams, now 58, the opportunity to sit in the witness box and answer questions.

    He refused.

    Mr MacMahon then ruled that he was satisfied Ms Wallace was no longer alive and there was sufficient evidence in the case to refer a "known person" to the DPP.

    A murder charge is expected to be laid if the DPP takes the case.

    The decision followed an admission from detective Senior-Constable Nicole Jones that there was no form of forensic evidence in the police report tendered to the court that linked Mr Adams to Ms Wallace's disappearance.

    Sen-Constable Jones said all DNA tests conducted on blood samples found in Mr Adams' car had returned an "inconclusive" result.

    Asked by Mr Adams, "Was there any forensic evidence linked to this case at all?" the officer replied, "No".

    The officer in charge also revealed that a handwriting expert was unable to determine who had written an anonymous cryptic poem allegedly linking Mr Adams to the nurse's death.

    Outside court, Mr Adams refused to comment.

    Family's 27 years of tears for missing nurse Mary Wallace | The Daily Telegraph

  10. #20
    Senior CCF Detective eagleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The nest

    Default Re: Police dig into nurse Mary Wallace's unsolved murder

    A man has been charged in connection with one of Sydney's greatest missing person cases, the disappearance and suspected murder of a woman on the city's north shore nearly 30 years ago.

    Mary Louise Wallace, who worked as a nurse at Hunters Hill Private Hospital, disappeared on a night out with friends at a bar in Crows Nest on September 24, 1983.

    Police said the popular 33-year-old, from Drummoyne, had been befriended at the Alpine Inn wine bar by Robert Adams, who offered her a lift home.

    She was never seen again, and her body has never been found.
    Early on Friday, detectives from the Homicide Squad's Unsolved Homicide Team arrested Mr Adams, now aged 61, in Gladesville.

    He was taken to Parramatta police station, where detectives charged him with the murder of Ms Wallace.

    The arrest is the culmination of 30 years of investigations, including the force's biggest homicide investigation, coronial inquests, re-investigations, excavations and hundreds of interviews.

    Detective Superintendent Mick Willing, from the Homicide Squad, said this was the oldest case in which an arrest had been made by the Unsolved Homicide Team.

    "This case is an example of exactly why the Unsolved Homicide Team was established with an investigative arm in 2008,'' he said.

    Mary Louise Wallace was 33 when she disappeared in 1983.
    "It also illustrates that we will continue working on theses cases for however long it takes to get results, and sometimes even decades later we will come knocking on the door."

    Detective Chief Inspector John Lehmann, from the Unsolved Homicide Squad, said DNA evidence would form part of the case.

    "There is forensic evidence. We have compiled a number of witness statements that are very important to our brief of evidence. There is physical evidence, scientific evidence that will include DNA," he said.

    "It's a credit to the investigators who have put in tireless hours. It's very satisfying for us, but even more so for the family and close friends that were left behind."

    Last year, Ms Wallace's sister, Anne Fraser, pleaded for information about her sister's disappearance as police announced a $100,000 reward for information.

    At the time, Ms Fraser said the fact that no one had ever been charged over the disappearance of her sister had haunted her.

    "I think that's why I'm so emotional," she said. "Because we have never known. If even 20 years ago it had been cleared up, it would be different. I wouldn't be here, a quivering mess, because there is resolution and then you grieve ... and it makes it much easier."

    Ms Wallace's parents both died without knowing what happened to their daughter.

    In the 1980s, police received an anonymous letter claiming that Ms Wallace's body was buried under a rock in the Lane Cove National Park.

    Yet two operations in the national park, including extensive geo-radar testing and excavation in 2010, found nothing. Ms Wallace's body has never been found.

    Police said Mr Adams would appear in Parramatta Local Court on Friday.

    Read more: Robert Adams charged over disappearance of nurse Mary Wallace

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts