Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Caylee Marie Anthony, 2, Missing For Over A Month

Default Prosecutors: Caylee's mom a 'person of interest'

ORLANDO, Florida (AP) -- Prosecutors said Tuesday that the case of a missing 2-year-old is beginning to look like a homicide, and her mother is a person of interest, though she has not been charged.

Casey Anthony does face charges connected with lying to investigators, and Circuit Court Judge Stan Strickland set her bond at $500,000 Tuesday, saying the law did not allow him to hold the 22-year-old without bail.

He said he set the amount extraordinarily high because he was worried about evidence of human decomposition allegedly found in Anthony's yard and car. Her daughter, Caylee Marie Anthony, has been missing since mid-June.

"Not a bit of useful information has been provided by Ms. Anthony as to the whereabouts of her daughter," Strickland said in ordering the bail. "And I would add that the truth and Ms. Anthony are strangers."

Anthony is charged only with child neglect, making false official statements and obstructing a criminal investigation. Authorities say she did not report the girl missing until last week.

Sheriff's deputies said her car smelled of decomposition, and a cadaver-trained German Shepherd noted a smell of human remains in the car and her yard. They said they found a stain, dirt and what seemed to be piece of Caylee's hair in Anthony's trunk.

"The risk of her flight if she is released on some low bond increases exponentially, especially now that she's heard this additional evidence and that she is their person of interest," said assistant state attorney Linda Drane-Burdick.

Defense attorney Jose Baez requested bond around $10,000. He said Anthony's family can't pay a high bond and she has the right be free while facing only low-level charges.

"This is not a capital case, and if it were they certainly would file it, if they had evidence to," Baez said. "There is circumstantial evidence of a possible homicide, I will give them that. But circumstantial evidence has not made them confident enough to charge her with any specific homicide or kidnapping, or any capital offense."
    advertisement

Anthony's parents became concerned after her car was towed from a check-cashing business where it had been parked for days. She and the child lived with her parents, and she told them she worked as an event planner at an area theme park.

Investigators say Anthony was unemployed, and the woman she claimed was a baby sitter for her daughter seems never to have existed. The two hadn't been home in about a month before investigators were notified that Caylee was missing.

Watch Nancy Grace Report Here

First loves...First kisses...
    My first look at my newborn son...
    When I am cold and dead...
    All these memories will be gone...
    Like tears in rain...
    Join us , as you need to be a member to view attachments,photos and other files. It is free and quick.
    Looking for a case? try an advanced search registering will give you more options
    Follow us on Twitter
    and facebook
    Link Directory

• Advertising

advertising
      CrimeCaseFiles.com
      has no influence
      on advertisings
      that are displayed

Default Emergency Motion Filed In Case Of Missing Toddler

Mother's Attorney Files Order To Stop Release Of Jail Conversations

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The attorney for the mother of a missing toddler filed an emergency motion Monday to prevent the release of phone calls made from jail.

The motion filed by Jose Baez seeks to put a stop to the media release of phone calls made from jail, 911 calls made by family and videotaped visitations between Casey Anthony and her family. Baez will ask a judge at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday at the state attorney's office.

Casey Anthony is being held on $500,000 bond at the Orange County Jail on charges of child neglect in connection with the disappearance of her daughter Caylee Anthony.

The motion for protective order said that the release of public records could "irreversibly taint the criminal process" in the high-profile case.

Brother Lee Anthony Visits Casey In Jail

The brother of Casey Anthony paid his jailed sister a second visit on Monday morning. Lee Anthony kept his head down as he headed into the Orange County Video Visitation Center and sneaked out a back door when he left.

The visit came almost two weeks into the search for Caylee Anthony, 2, and officials said there are still no signs of the missing toddler.

Casey's mother, Cindy Anthony, said the media need to take the focus off her daughter and keep it on the missing girl.

"The attorney has already filed an appeal, so really the bond hearing isn't a big deal. If that appeal goes through, we don't need to worry about, you know, asking our friends and putting up things, you know, for collateral," Cindy Anthony said.

Cindy Anthony said her daughter would be willing to speak with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, but she doesn't want to speak to local investigators.

"She's been wanting to cooperate with authorities, she just doesn't trust the local authorities. She would be willing to speak with the FBI," Cindy Anthony said.

She said the family's first face-to-face sessions with Casey Anthony are producing results.

Cindy Anthony said the family has been in contact with investigators, but cannot say whether her daughter may actually answer questions from detectives for the first time since her arrest.

Before Casey Anthony can speak to the FBI, Casey Anthony's attorney, Jose Baez, has to give her approval, and he has said in the past he would like immunity for his client to avoid further charges.

"We're discussing our case, doing everything we can to help her out," Baez said.

The largest prayer vigil yet was held on Sunday night to help the Anthony family. More than 60 people from all over Florida joined in a circle in pouring rain.

Casey Anthony asked to have her Bible be brought to her in jail, but her request was denied.

"She's very religious. She'd feel great comfort. We tried to get that to her, but she's not allowed to have it," Cindy Anthony said.

"I had to come. I have a little one about a month apart from Caylee. Just every time I look at her I think of Caylee and everybody and what they're going through in their family," Erin Kennedy said.

"This is what it's about. It's getting together as a community to find this little girl, and I think it's working," Cindy Anthony said.

Meanwhile, Cindy Anthony said the family is making progress going through all of Casey Anthony's cell phone records in an attempt to find the baby sitter the family believes kidnapped Caylee.

Cindy Anthony said her daughter told her to "recall all the things I've told you in the last month and it will all make sense."

Cindy Anthony said, It's all going to come together pretty soon."

Like tears in rain...
    Join us , as you need to be a member to view attachments,photos and other files. It is free and quick.
    Looking for a case? try an advanced search registering will give you more options
    Follow us on Twitter
    and facebook
    Link Directory

Default Parents Unable To See Casey Anthony In Jail

Deputies Investigating Break-In At Anthony Home

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony's parents were unable to visit their daughter in jail Tuesday morning, but she was in court for a hearing in the afternoon.

Orange County Jail spokesman Allan Moore said Anthony may have been unable to accept visitors because of a transportation issue regarding the afternoon court hearing.

Lee Anthony visited his sister on Monday morning, and her parents said they had wanted to reach out to their daughter during the scheduled visit.

"All I'm going to do tomorrow is ask her how she's doing and if there's anything she wants me to pass on," mother Cindy Anthony said.

Cindy Anthony said the bottom line was she wanted to act like a mother. She and her husband, George Anthony, had vowed to offer support and not press her for information about her missing daughter, Caylee.

During a hearing, a judge denied a request by Casey Anthony's attorney, Jose Baez, to block media access to his client's phone calls and visitation conversations in jail.

The latest conversation, between Lee and Casey Anthony, was released on Monday.

Baez said he believes the tapes are affecting the investigation and preventing leads from coming in about Caylee, but Judge Stan Strickland disagreed, citing the First Amendment.

Casey Anthony is also expecting a visit on Tuesday from an ex-boyfriend.

Meanwhile, deputies are investing a break-in at the Anthony home. Authorities said someone broke into a shed on June 24. According to the family, Casey Anthony has stolen gas from the storage building before, but she has not been charged in this incident.

It is not known if the incident is related in any way to Caylee's disappearance.

Like tears in rain...
    Follow us on Twitter
    and facebook
    Link Directory

Default Family of Missing Toddler Caylee Anthony Mum on TV Reports of New Concrete Slab in Yard

The family of an Orlando toddler missing for more than a month won't answer questions about a tip that a new concrete slab was poured in the grandparents' backyard over July 4 weekend, shortly before they reported the child missing.

Caylee Marie Anthony's grandmother would neither confirm nor deny the tip about the fresh concrete received by local WFTV Eyewitness News in Orlando, according to the station.

Orange County Sheriff's detectives said they didn't know anything about the reported addition to the property, which they searched last week with cadaver dogs. The toddler was reported missing last week.

"We do yard work around our house all the time and our yard has been completely looked at," Cindy Anthony told WFTV Thursday morning. "I feel very confident. The sheriff's office knows everything that we've done in that yard over the last year. We've disclosed everything. If they had any concerns, I would think they would have followed up on it already."

Orange County, Fla., sheriff's detectives told FOX News they weren't aware of a recently-poured block of concrete.

Also Thursday, Cindy Anthony said there have been two reported sightings of 2-year-old Caylee in Georgia and she believes her granddaughter is with someone heading to Charlotte, N.C.

"We know where she's at," Cindy Anthony told FOX News Thursday before pleading with the person she believes has the child to turn back. "Please don't take her further into the mountains. It looks like she's headed northeast in Georgia close to the North Carolina border. ... This is all very encouraging right now."

Her plea came after her husband, George Anthony, asked the public in an audio message for help in finding their granddaughter before her third birthday. She was last seen on Father's Day, June 15, and reported missing exactly a month later.

In the recording, broadcast Wednesday and arranged by the Never Lose Hope Foundation, George Anthony tells listeners that the reward for information leading to Caylee's whereabouts is now $225,000 — a $100,000 increase thanks to local businessman Peter Benevides, according to MyFOX Orlando.

He describes the little girl as being 3 feet tall with big, hazel eyes and brown hair.

"She could be anywhere," he says. "Please help me and my family bring her home for her third birthday."

Caylee's mother, 22-year-old Casey Marie Anthony, remained jailed in Orange County, Fla., Thursday. Earlier this week a judge set her bond at $500,000, 10 percent of which her family is trying to raise for her release.

Police haven't named a suspect in the child's disappearance, but have called Casey Anthony a "person of interest," after saying they detected the odor of human decomposition and found dirt and strands of hair similar to Caylee's in the trunk of a car driven by Casey Anthony.

Cadaver dogs searched the grandparents' property last week after a neighbor told them Casey Anthony borrowed a shovel around the time her small daughter was last seen. Casey and Caylee were living with George and Cindy Anthony, reportedly until the time the toddler vanished.

Prosecutors have said the case could be turning into a homicide investigation; defense lawyers have conceded that there is enough circumstantial evidence to point to a possible killing, but there isn't enough to charge Casey Anthony with a crime.

On Wednesday, Cindy Anthony disputed investigators' claims about detecting the scent of human decomposition, suggesting instead that it was the smell of old food or garbage they'd picked up instead.

"Do me a favor," she said. "Put a little piece of pizza or any piece of garbage in your car today and leave it shut up for 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 days in this heat and then come back to me in 19 days and tell me what it smells like."

Cindy Anthony discounted the decomposition testimony after she received a tip that a child matching Caylee's description had been seen at the Orlando International Airport boarding a flight to Atlanta.

Cindy Anthony said the tip was from a woman who lives in Orlando and was left on her voicemail. The grandmother said she called the woman back and they talked.

The tip was even more credible because the person reported that the little girl pronounced her last name the same way Caylee does, Casey Anthony's defense attorney Jose Baez told FOX News.

The caller claimed to have seen Caylee board the flight with an older woman. When she talked to the woman and child, the youngster apparently said her name was Caylee "Antony," pronouncing it without the "h" the way the missing child's grandparents say she does.

The caller was to meet with Orange County Sheriff's detectives to produce a composite sketch of the woman seen with the girl, according to Cindy Anthony.

Casey Anthony has been in prison since last week, when she finally reported her toddler daughter missing July 15 at her parents' urging. She was arrested on charges of child endangerment, making false officials statements and obstructing a criminal investigation.

Detectives have said that almost nothing Casey Anthony has told them about her child's disappearance has checked out to be true. They haven't even been able to get information about the child's father, who Anthony has said is dead, Orange County Det. Yuri Melich testified at her bond hearing on Tuesday.

Cindy Anthony has reportedly said little about Caylee's dad, other than he was never married to Casey Anthony, had no involvement in Caylee's life and died a few years ago in a traffic accident — which the grandmother said she learned about in a local obituary, according to MyFOX Orlando.

Her attorney denies that his client has been lying to police and says she's been cooperating. He and her family want her released so she can help in the search for the girl.

Baez told FOX News on Thursday that he has not found or seen any evidence of substance abuse by Casey Anthony and knows of no history of mental health problems.

Cindy Anthony declined to answer questions about whether her daughter was a "habitual liar," as her friends have claimed, and said it doesn't concern her that police suspect Casey might have done something to her granddaughter.

"My focus is on finding Caylee," the weeping grandmother told FOX News. "Everyone believes she's alive."

Like tears in rain...
    Follow us on Twitter
    and facebook
    Link Directory

Default Photos Show Missing Florida Girl's Mother Partying at Club

The mother of a missing 2-year-old Florida girl was caught by photographers partying at a club June 20 -- after the date she claims her daughter disappeared.

The photographs, obtained by FOX News, show Casey Anthony smiling and posing with various people at an Orlando club called Fusion. She later would tell police that her daughter, Caylee Marie Anthony, had been missing since earlier in the month.

John Azzilano, the nightlife photographer who snapped the images, said 22-year-old Casey Anthony was enjoying herself.

"She seemed happy, as were most of the people there that night," Azzilano told FOX News. "She seemed all right, having a good time, just like people our age would that night."

Casey Anthony remains in jail on charges of child neglect, making false official statements and obstructing a criminal investigation. She is being held on a $500,000 bond and is a person of interest but has not been charged in Caylee’s disappearance, which prosecutors say is beginning to look like a homicide.

When Anthony and her family first reported Caylee’s disappearance on July 15, she told police the girl already had been missing for a month. She also claimed that Caylee had been taken by a baby sitter, who also vanished.

Since that time, police have expressed doubt in many of the details of Anthony’s story. They also have testified that they found hair samples in the trunk of a car Anthony had been driving and said the trunk had an odor of decomposition.

Michael Walsh, one of Anthony’s attorneys, told FOX News on Tuesday that she initially had not been forthcoming with the timeline of Caylee’s disappearance because the babysitter had made threats and Anthony feared for her daughter’s safety.

“I think this young girl was going through the pressures and stress of what she was dealing with,” he said.

Walsh confirmed that Anthony had been at the club Fusion but disputed that the photos were taken after the daughter’s disappearance. He also said that Anthony was working at the club as "one of the promotion girls at that club," but declined to elaborate.

The nightclub photos have surfaced following the release of phone conversations she has made from jail, videotaped meetings with family members and other recordings related to the case. A judge Tuesday denied Anthony's request to stop the further release of such recordings

Like tears in rain...
    Follow us on Twitter
    and facebook
    Link Directory

Partying at a club on the night that she was reported missing
    That says it all.

Do they have more information about the babysitter that they claim was the one that kidnapped Caylee?

Watch the interview

Last edited by DADOCTOR; 07-31-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Adding link
    We want you to Blog Crime Case Files Blog
    (interested ? ask me how)
    TRUST ME I'M DADOCTOR
    It is good to have an end to journey towards;
    but it is the journey that matters in the end
    Follow us on Twitter
    and facebook
    Link Directory

Default Missing Caylee: Mother's Court Bid

A Florida court has refused to reduce the $500,000 bond held on the mother of a missing two-year-old girl, hours after pictures emerged of her partying a week into the toddler's disappearance.

Casey Anthony is being held on suspicion of child neglect, making false statements and obstructing an investigation.

Police say the 22-year-old mother lied to them and didn't report daughter Caylee missing for more than a month.

She hasn't been charged with her daughter's disappearance, but prosecutors call her a person of interest in what is beginning to look like a murder investigation.

The 5th District Court of Appeal denied Anthony's request to lower her bonds to £5,000 but her attorney said she planned to appeal to the Florida Supreme Court.

Pictures have emerged showing Anthony, from Orlando, partying on June 20. But on July 15 she went to police and told them Caylee had been missing since June 9.

The photos show Casey Anthony smiling and posing with various people at an Orlando club.

In transcripts of a 911 call, Caylee's grandmother tells an operator she thought her own daughter's car had been used to transport a body.

"There's something wrong," Cindy Anthony told the operator.

"I found my daughter's car today, and it smells like there's been a dead body in the damn car."

In three 911 calls, she said she wanted to press charges against her daughter Casey, 22, for "grand theft", then in a second call she said she had someone in her home who needed to be arrested in relation to a missing toddler.

Casey Anthony claims her babysitter took the child and she did not report the girl missing for a month because she thought she could find the pair.

Like tears in rain...
    Follow us on Twitter
    and facebook
    Link Directory

Default Criminal Profiler Calls Casey Anthony "Dark Damsel"

In an effort to understand the psyche of Casey Anthony, Investigation Discovery enrolled the help of Dr. Deborah Schurman-Kauflin, a renowned criminal profiler who has over 20 years experience in profiling everything from serial murders to aberrant sex crimes. In 1999, Dr. Schurman-Kauflin profiled the BTK serial killer. Years later, when Dennis Rader was arrested for the crimes, the profile proved to be a shockingly accurate reflection of the killer.

According to Dr. Schurman-Kauflin, Casey Anthony is a "dark damsel" who is seemingly ignoring the disappearance of her 2-year-old child, Caylee Anthony.

"The hallmark of a good predator is that she constantly tells lies. If you clutter the truth with enough of what's false, no one can tell what is real," Dr. Schurman-Kauflin said. "This is why the female offender keeps everyone guessing with deception. Keep people chasing their tails, and they don't have the time to fight you. You will often find female offenders are remarkably good at making people do what they want. They are especially skilled at manipulating men. Women know there is more than one way to make a man wild. She can seduce him. She can lead him in circles. When that fails, she can kill. Seduce-circle-kill."

By examining Anthony's behavioral patterns, Dr. Schurman-Kauflin said that her true self will become visible and it will become easier to predict her actions.

"In her eyes, those close to her are mere things that can be tossed in the trash when they get in the way. Follow her men, and you will follow her thinking. What that means is female predators are especially driven by their need to feel sexual and appealing. They need their men more than they need their families. Male attention is exciting, while family is judgmental. Men build her ego, but their children tear it down. What feeds her ego? If you figure this out, you figure her out. Seduce-circle-kill."

In regards to the trail of lies surrounding the case, Dr. Schurman-Kauflin said that they suggest Anthony is desperate for attention.

"She went toward excitement and lied when it suited her," she said, adding, "Lies surround her. Truth looks very hard to find here."

Unfortunately, determining what happened to Caylee is not as clear-cut.

"It is unclear at this point what happened to Caylee. However, what is clear is that Ms. Anthony did not put Caylee first when the child disappeared," Dr. Schurman-Kauflin said. "She did not do her best to help police find the responsibility [child] that had taken so much of her life. There have been rumors that she partied while her child faded into the night. Finally, she comes across as angry that people care more for her missing child than her. Her pattern comes across very clear. She put herself first, at least when it came to her disappearing baby."

In summary, Dr. Schurman-Kauflin said that if Anthony's pattern of behaviors is followed, the truth behind Caylee's disappearance will be revealed.

Like tears in rain...
    Follow us on Twitter
    and facebook
    Link Directory

Default Judge Issues Ruling on Motion to Suppress Casey Anthony's Phone Calls

Casey Anthony and her attorney, Jose Baez, appeared in Orange County Circuit Court today, in an attempt to prevent authorities from releasing any further audio or video recordings of conversations Casey has with her family while she is locked up in the county jail.

The protective order motion, which Baez filed yesterday, read in part:

"The release of any visitation video-conferencing could impede the investigation, chill the public's willingness to report any leads, and compromise the integrity of the defendant's right to a fair trial. This has proven to be a high-profile case that has gained national recognition and the release of the above-mentioned recordings, or any public records requests made pursuant to chapter 119 of the Florida Statutes, could irreversibly taint the criminal process in the above-styled cause."

Read the Motion for Protective Order

The order went before Judge Stan Strickland of the Ninth Circuit Court, who presided over today's brief hearing.

During the court proceeding, Baez called Casey's father, George Anthony, to the stand and asked him his opinion on the media's coverage of the case.

"I think some of this stuff is getting completely out of context," Anthony replied. "I think whoever has Caylee, they're going to hear phone conversations and everything that's going on ... and take Caylee farther away from us."

Following Anthony's testimony, Baez addressed the court and said that the release of sensitive material was hindering the Anthony family in their attempts to get information from Casey.

"We have a situation that's extremely unique," Baez said. "We are in uncharted waters. We have the family of this little girl attempting to get information from my client."

Baez also said that the release of sensitive information could endanger Caylee's life.

"It's our position, for example, if the child has been kidnapped, locations should not be given to the media. The person who has Caylee may abscond," Baez said, adding, "I think the Court can take judicial notice that all of the publicity has negatively impacted my client."

After Baez finished addressing the court, Orange County Sheriff's Office Attorney, Eric Dunlap, argued that the sheriff has the final discretion in determining what records are released to the public.

"Essentially, Mr. Baez's motion is taking away that decision from the Sheriff," Dunlap said.

An attorney for the Orlando Sentinel, who was there to represent the media, agreed with Dunlap and stated that the audio and video recordings were considered public record, similar to that of a police mug shot.

After listening to both sides, Judge Strickland cited the First Amendment and denied Baez's motion.

"If your motion is granted, then the public's only source of information will be from you [Baez] and the defendant's family," Judge Strickland said.

Like tears in rain...
    Follow us on Twitter
    and facebook
    Link Directory

Default Florida Attorney General Say's Bond not "Unreasonable" in Casey Anthony Case

Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum issued a written response today to an appeal request that Casey Anthony's attorney, Jose Baez, filed on July 24. Within the request, Baez had asked that Casey be released from jail without bond, so that she could aid in the search for her missing 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.

"Respondent recognizes that it is well settled in Florida that every person charged with a crime is entitled to pretrial release on reasonable conditions," McCollum wrote in his response. "… The State is also aware that excessive bail is tantamount to no bail at all ... However, there is also a presumption of correctness as to a trial court's decision and a petitioner has to show an abuse of discretion by the trial court in its determination."

The response also cited Florida Rule of Criminal Procedure, which reads in part:

"In determining whether to release a defendant on bail or other conditions, and what that bail or those conditions may be, the court may consider the nature and circumstances of the offense charged and the penalty provided by law; the weight of the evidence against the defendant; the defendant's family ties, length of residence in the community, employment history, financial resources, need for substance abuse evaluation and/or treatment, and mental condition; the defendant's past and present conduct, including any record of convictions, previous flight to avoid prosecution, or failure to appear at court proceedings; the nature and probability of danger that the defendant's release poses to the community; the source of funds used to post bail; whether the defendant is already on release pending resolution of another criminal proceeding or is on probation, parole, or other release pending completion of sentence; and any other facts the court considers relevant."

The Attorney General's office cited two case examples of the law, to show that "bond is not excessive simply because it is high" and also recapped much of the testimony that was given during Casey Anthony's bond hearing, including arguments that were presented by prosecutor Linda Drane-Burdick.

"The risk of her flight if she is released on some low bond increases exponentially," Drane-Burdick said. "Essentially now, she's heard this additional evidence [found in the trunk of her car] and that she is their person of interest in what looks to be a homicide investigation. There are some things that I could point out to the Court that are probably rather obvious. Even though she has ties to the community by virtue of the fact that she has lived here a long period of time, those ties are very tangential. She doesn't appear to have a job or has had long-term employment. She really has no reason to stay here if, in fact, her family feels that they hold some weight over her, they apparently, to date, have not been able to get her to tell them anything about her daughter other than the lies that she has already told to the Orange County Sheriff's Office."

The Attorney General's response concluded by stating that attorney Baez "failed to show that such action by the trial court was arbitrary, fanciful, or unreasonable."

Like tears in rain...
    Follow us on Twitter
    and facebook
    Link Directory

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-13-2011, 09:20 PM
  2. 02-27-2010, 04:31 PM
  3. 10-04-2009, 02:04 PM
  4. 05-05-2009, 05:32 PM

Thread Information