Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Peter William Sutcliffe

  1. #1
    Guest DADOCTOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Sydney, Australia

    Default Peter William Sutcliffe

    Peter William Sutcliffe (born 2 June 1946 in Bingley, United Kingdom) is an English serial killer who was dubbed The Yorkshire Ripper. Sutcliffe was convicted in 1981 for murdering 13 women, and attacking several others. He is currently serving life imprisonment in Broadmoor Hospital. Sutcliffe began using the name Peter William Coonan at some point after his conviction.

    The Murders
    As a Leeds milkman was driving down Harrogate Road, on the cold frosty morning of the 30 October 1975 he discovered a female body lying face up in the grass. Parts of her clothes had been pulled off and she had been stabbed 14 times in the chest and stomach.

    The body had been identified as Wilma McCann, a 28-year-old prostitute who regularly hitch-hiked home. The post mortem showed that she was heavily intoxicated at the time. A pathologists report revealed that she had been attacked from behind, bashed in the head with two blows of a hammer, one of which shattered her skull.

    The stab wounds were made on the body after it was dead suggesting the work of a sadist.

    On the 20 January 1976 Emily Jackson and her husband went to the Gaiety public house on Roundhay Road in Leeds. The building was a meeting place for prostitutes and their clients. As Emily Jacksons husband took a seat and waited for her, she climbed into a Land Rover in the carpark. Mr Jackson waited for a while then assumed she'd probably take the whole night, so he went home in a taxi. The next morning a worker discovered the body of Emily Jackson, she was covered with a coat.

    Like the other murder, clothing had been pulled off, showing the breasts which had been stabbed. The head had been bashed with two blows from a hammer. Overall the body had been stabbed 50 times on the neck, stomach and chest. Also her back had been gouged at with a phillips screwdriver. The police got their first piece of evidence as the killer had left the impression of his size seven wellington boot stamped onto the right thigh of Emily Jacksons body.

    The police officially linked the two murders of Wilma McCann and Emily Jackson, because of the similaraties the way they were murdered, but the only clue the killer had left was the size seven footprint.

    Around October 1976, Sutcliffe got a job as a lorry driver at T.& W.H. Clark.

    A year past and on the 5 February 1977 the Yorkshire Ripper struck again. 28-year-old Irene Richardson left a half an hour before midnight to go to a disco, as usual she walked the way but never showed up. The next morning a jogger discovered her body near a sports pavilion.

    It was the same as the others - head bashed in with a hammer three times, clothes torn off, and the neck and chest had been stabbed many times.

    The police now knew that they had a serial killer stalking the streets, something not seen for a long time when Jack the Ripper struck in 1888. The press soon got details of the murders and gave the serial killer a name - The Yorkshire Ripper.

    On the 23 April 1977 Patricia Atkinson, who was living alone in a small house in Bradford, went down to her local pub for a drink with her friends. After a while she decided to leave the pub and walk home. She was not seen all the next day but people thought she was just recovering from the night at the pub.

    The next day friends visited and found that the door to the flat was unlocked so they entered. As they went in they saw her body on the bed, her clothes pulled off, she was stabbed seven times and the killer had slashed the left part of her body. It seemed that she had been attacked as she entered the flat, with four blows from a ball-pein hammer, then the killer dragged her dead body on her bed and proceeded to mutilate it. It was no doubt the Yorkshire Ripper - a size seven wellington boot print had been left on one of the bed sheets, the same as the one left at the crime scene of Emily Jacksons murder.

    One Saturday night, 25 June 1977 Peter Sutcliffe went to a pub with his friends and at around 2.00 a.m he left for home. As he was driving down Chapeltown Road, Leeds, he spotted 16-year-old Jayne MacDonald walking down the road. Jayne MacDonalds body was found lying by a wall in a playground at 9.50 a.m. the same day, discovered by children. The body was similar to all the other victims after they had been attacked. The first thing that set Jayne MacDonald apart from the other victims was that she wasn't a prostitute.

    By now the police were desperate. A woman who survived an attack by the ripper, Maureen Long described him as 6ft tall, around 30-40 years of age, with long hair. Only a few women had survived an attack by the Ripper and their descriptions differed. By this time a police detective with 31 years of experience, George Oldfield, had taken command of the Ripper investigation, he was very unhealthy and suffered from heart problems.

    On the 1 October 1977 Jean Jordan accepted 5 pounds in advance and climbed into Sutcliffes car. They drove to some land allotments near the Southern Cemetery in Manchester. As they got out of the car Sutcliffe struck her 11 times with his hammer. He moved her body into some bushes and was just about to proceed to mutilate the body when he saw a car approaching and quickly left. There was one thing that Sutcliffe was worried about, the 5 pound note that he had given her, he knew the police might be able to track it back to his work where he got it from.

    He had received the brand new note from his pay packet at his employer T.& W.H. Clark. After an eight day wait and no news that the body had turned up, Sutcliffe risked returning to body to find the 5 pound note. Sutcliffe searched, but could not find Jean Jordans handbag. Frustrated Sutcliffe attacked the body with a broken pane of glass attempting to remove his hammer blow signature. In the end Sutcliffe gave up and left.

    The next day a passerby discovered the body and notified the police. They failed to identify her at first because her head was mutilated beyond recognition, but got her identity from fingerprinting and discovered she was Jean Jordan. She hadn't turned up on a missing list as her husband thought nothing of her disappearance.

    The police found her handbag and upon further inspection discovered a secret pocket inside containing the new 5 pound note. The note, with the serial number of AW51 121565, was tracked through the bank to 30 possible companies, one of which was T.& W.H.Clark. The bank produced the names of 5,494 people who could of possibly received the note, one of these was Peter Sutcliffe. One month after Jordans death police went to Sutcliffes house and questioned him, they returned a week later and thought his alibi to be genuine.

    By now prostitutes were scared, one system developed by 18-year-old Helen Rytka and her twin sister Rita was to take down the number of the car that the opposite twin went into and be back to a meeting place in 15 minutes exactly, that way they would be safe from the Ripper. On the 31 January 1978, Helen got to the meeting place 5 minutes early, when Peter Sutcliffe showed up. Helen Rytka probably thought the chance that he would be the Ripper would be one in a billion, so she climbed into his Ford and he drove to a timber yard near a railway line. Once there, Sutcliffe spotted 2 men in the timber yard and stalled so he had sex with Helen.

    After they had gone and when Helen got out the back of the car to get to the front seat, Sutcliffe struck her with his hammer, killing her. He then mutilated the body and hid it under a nearby wood pile. Helen's twin, Rita, phoned police three days later and reluctantly told them of her missing sister. The reason she phoned police so late is that she thought she would be arrested for soliciting.

    The police used tracker dogs to find the body, but found no other clues that would help catch the Ripper.

    On the 26 March 1978, a person spotted a dead body in a red light district in Bradford. It was half hidden under an old abandoned sofa, the person was Yvonne Pearson. She had been killed ten days before Helen Rytka, also like with Jean Jordan, the killer had returned to the body to make it more visible. He also tried to tell police what the date of her death was by placing a newspaper under her arm. It was no doubt a Ripper victim.

    At 8.10 a.m., 17 May 1978, a gardener found the mutilated body of 41-year-old Vera Millward on a rubbish pile next to a car park, she was the ninth Ripper Victim.

    It had been about twelve months since the Yorkshire Ripper claimed his last vitim. The police were fearing that like the Jack the Ripper, the case would remain unsolved. It could be that the Yorkshire Ripper was incarcerated, had moved, or was dead, or unusually for most serial killers - he could of just retired. These claims were soon destroyed when he had claimed his tenth victim.

    The tenth victim was 19-year-old Josephine Whitaker. Before midnight, on the 4 April 1979, just as she was crossing Saville Park, Halifax, she was spotted by Sutcliffe who was cruising for victims in his Ford. Her body was found early the next day, similar to all the other victims. Like Jayne MacDonald she wasn't a prositute, it was clear now that Sutcliffe would attack any women he saw walking the streets at night.

    Sutcliffe was convicted of murdering the following 13 victims:

    1. Wilma McCann ( Age 28 ): Killed on 30 October 1975. Body found at Prince Phillip Playing Fields, Leeds

    2. Emily Jackson ( Age : 42 ) : Killed On 20 January 1976. Body found at Manor Street, Leeds

    3.Irene Richardson ( Age : 28 ) : Killed On 5 February 1977. Body found at Roundhay Park, Leeds.

    4. Patricia Atkinson ( Age : 32 ) : Killed On 23 April 1977. Body found at Flat 3, 9 Oak Avenue, Bradford.

    5. Jayne MacDonald ( Age : 16 ) : Killed On 26 June 1977. Body found at Adventure playground, Reginald Street, Leeds.

    6.Jean Jordan ( Age : 20 ) : Killed on 1 October 1977. Body found at Allotments next to Southern Cemetery, Manchester.

    7.Yvonne Pearson ( Age : 21 ) : Killed On 21 January 1978. Body found at Under a disused sofa on waste ground off Arthington Street, Bradford.

    8. Helen Rytka ( Age : 18 ) : Killed On 18 January 1978. Body found at Timber yard in Great Northern Street, Huddersfield.

    9. Vera Millward ( Age : 40 ) : Killed on 16 May 1978. Body found at Grounds of Manchester Royal Infirmary.

    10. Josephine Whitaker ( Age : 19 ) : killed on 4 April 1979. Body found at Savile Park, Halifax.

    11. Barbara Leach ( Age : 20 ) : Killed on 20 September 1979. Body found at Back of 13 Ashgrove, Bradford .

    12.Marguerite Walls ( Age : 47 ) : Killed on 20 August 1980. Body found at Garden of a house called "Claremont", New Street, Farsley, Leeds.

    13. Jacqueline Hill ( Age : 20 ) : Killed On 17 November 1980. Body found at Waste ground off Alma Road, Headingley, Leeds.

    `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````

    Early Life

    Sutcliffe was the son of John and Kathleen Sutcliffe. Reportedly a loner at school, he left Silcoates School at the age of 15 and took a series of menial jobs, including two stints as a grave-digger during the 1960s. Sutcliffe worked at the factory of Baird Television Ltd. between November 1971 and April 1973 on the packaging line, but left when he was asked to go on the road as a salesman.

    After leaving Baird's, he worked nightshifts at the Britannia works of Anderton International from April 1973. In February 1975 he took redundancy, used the pay-off to gain an HGV licence on 4 June 1975, and began working as a driver for a tyre firm on 29 September of that year. However, he was sacked for poor time-keeping on 5 March 1976.

    He was unemployed until October 1976, when he found another job as an HGV driver for T & WH Clark (Holdings Ltd.) on the Canal Road Industrial Estate, between Shipley and Bradford.

    Sutcliffe frequented prostitutes as a young man, and it has been speculated that a bad experience with one (during which he was allegedly conned out of money) helped fuel his violent hatred of women.

    He first met Czech-born Sonia Szurma on St Valentine's Day in 1967 and they married on 10 August 1974. His wife suffered a number of miscarriages over the next few years, and eventually the couple were informed that she would not be able to have children.

    Shortly after this she returned to a teacher-training course. When she completed the course in 1977 and began teaching, the couple used the extra money to buy their first house, in Heaton, Bradford, where they moved on 26 September 1977, and where they were still living at the time of Sutcliffe's arrest for the murders in 1981.

    THE notorious Yorkshire Ripper now has been classified low risk and recommended for release from a high-security psychiatric hospital, reports say.

    Broadmoor Hospital’s doctors have told lawyers representing the Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe, who murdered 13 women and tried to kill seven others that he is no longer dangerous.

    Peter Sutcliffe Now

    According to a source close to Sutcliffe, the medics will support his bid to get out of Broadmoor as they believe he is effectively cured as long as he keeps taking his medication.

    And if the Ministry of Justice, headed by Jack Straw, agrees with their verdict, he will be moved to a medium-security unit.

    That means he would skip the high-security step of the mental hospital process and be given much more freedom.

    He would then be allowed on to the streets to begin rehabilitation into society.

    The source said: “If Jack Straw rubber-stamps it Peter will be packing his bags.”

    Sutcliffe believed he was on a “mission from God” to kill prostitutes but not all of his victims were sex workers.

    His 13 victims were list above with their images..

    He was jailed in 1981 but transferred to Broadmoor in 1984 after being ruled mentally ill. He refused treatment until 1993, when the Mental Health Act Commission said it should be given forcibly.

    We want you to Blog Crime Case Files Blog
    (interested ? ask me how)
    It is good to have an end to journey towards;
    but it is the journey that matters in the end
    Join us , as you need to be a member to view attachments,photos and other files. It is free and quick.
    Looking for a case? try an advanced search registering will give you more options
    Follow us on Twitter
    and facebook
    Link Directory

    • Advertising

      has no influence
      on advertisings
      that are displayed


  2. #2
    Guest DADOCTOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Sydney, Australia




    Note: The following has not been edited for any spelling, grammar,
    or punctuation errors or omissions.

    (sheet 1)
    I, PETER WILLIAM SUTCLIFFE, wish to make a statement and I want
    someone to write down what I say I have been told that I need not
    say anything unless I wish to do so and that whatever I say may
    be given in evidence. SGD: P W Sutcliffe
    WTD: P Smith DS 268 J Boyle DI

    (DATE TAKEN: 4.1.81 Time: From 2.50pm to 1.12am)

    That was the incident that started it all off, I was driving
    through Leeds late at night I'd been to somewhere having a couple
    of pints, you'll know the date better than me. It was WILMA
    McCANN. I was in a Ford Capri K registered a lime Green one
    with a black roof with a sun grill in the back window. I saw
    this woman thumbing a lift where the Wetherby Road branches to
    the right but you can carry straight on. She was wearing some
    white trousers and a jacket. I stopped and asked her how far
    she was going. She said "NOT FAR THANKS FOR STOPPING" and she
    jumped in. I was in quite a good mood and we were talking on the
    way. She said something about just before we stopped about did
    I want business. To me I didn't know what she meant by this.
    I asked her to explain and straight away a scornfull tone came
    into her voice which took my by surprise because she had been
    so pleasant.
    She said, "BLOODY HELL DO I HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT" she said it as
    though it was a challenge.
    My reaction was to aggree to go with her.
    She told me where to park the car. It was just off this road
    we turned left we came to this field which sloped up I parked
    near the field.

    (sheet 2)
    We sat there for a minute talking then all of a sudden her tone
    changed and she said "WELL WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR LETS GET ON
    WITH IT."
    Before we stopped she had said that it would cost a fiver.
    I was a bit surprised I was expecting it to be a bit romantic.
    I think she had been drinking because she was being irrational.
    I couldn't have intercourse in a split second I had to be arroused.
    At this point she opened the car door and got out. She slammed
    the door and shouted "I'M GOING, ITS GOING TO TAKE YOU ALL FUCKING
    DAY." She shouted something like "YOU'RE FUCKING USELESS."
    I suddenly felt myself seething with rage. I got out of the car
    wanting to hit her to pay her back for the insult.
    I went to her and said "HANG ON A MINUTE DON'T GO OFF LIKE THAT."
    She was only 3 or 4 strides away she turned and came back to me.
    She said something like "OH YOU CAN FUCKING MANAGE IT NOW CAN YOU."
    She sounded as though she was taunting me.
    This was with my idea of hitting her.
    THE CAR." With that she stormed up the hill into the field.
    I had a tool box on the back seat of the car and I took a hammer
    out of the tool box I followed her into the field. I took my car
    coat off and carried it over my arm I had the hammer in my right
    hand. I put my coat on the grass. She sat down on the coat.
    She unfastened her trousers. She said "COME ON THEN GET IT OVER
    WITH." I said "DON'T WORRY I WILL."
    I then hit her with the hammer on her head. I was stood up at
    that time behind her. I think I hit her on the top of the head

    (sheet 3)
    I hit her once or twice on the head. She fell down flat on her
    back and started making a horrible noise like a moaning gurgling
    I thought "God what have I done" I knew I had gone too far. I
    ran to the car intending to drive off. I sat in the car for a
    while I could see her arm moving. I was in a numb panic I still
    had the hammer in my hand. I put it back in my tool box. I
    half expected her to get up and realised I would be in serious
    trouble. I thought the best way out of the mess was to make sure
    she couldn't tell anybody. I took a knife out of the tool box
    it had a wood handle with one sharp side the blade was about
    7" long about 1/2 - 3/4" wide.
    I went to her. She was still lying on her back. I thought that
    to make certain she was dead I would stab her in places like the
    lungs and the throat. I stabbed her at least four times once in
    the throat. Before I stabbed her in the body I pulled her blouse
    or whatever it was and her bra so I could see where I was stabbing
    her. I was in a blind panic when I was stabbing her just to make
    sure she wouldnt tell anyone.
    What a damn stupid thing to do just to keep somebody quiet.
    If I was thinking logical at the time I would have stopped and
    told someone I'd hit her with the hammer. That was the turning
    point. I realise I over reacted at the time, nothing I have
    done since then affected me like this.
    After I'd stabbed her I went back to the car, I remember that
    I'd taken my coat off the ground after I'd hit her with the hammer
    and I'd taken my coat back to the car. I started the car and shot

    (sheet 4)
    off backwards along the narrow road leading to the road swung
    the car round and drove away towards Leeds. I drove home as
    soon as possible. I was then living at my Mother-in-Laws house
    at 44 Tanton Crescent, Clayton, Bradford. I was very frightened
    and don't even remember driving there. I thought I was bound to
    get caught. I parked my car outside the house. I'm trying to
    remember if it was my Mother-in-Law's house I was living at then
    I've thought it out now it must have been her house. I looked
    over my clothing before I went in the house. I went straight to
    the bathroom and washed my hands and went to bed. I don't have
    any of the cloths I was wearing that night they are worn out.
    I cannot honestly remember what I did with the hammer and the
    knife I don't remember chucking them away that night. I haven't
    got the knife now I may have kept the hammer in the tool box but
    I'm not sure of that even. The next day I saw it on the TV news
    about the murder and I felt sick and I still half expected a knock
    on the door by the Police.
    I carried on trying to act as normal living with my wife and
    in-laws. At that time I worked at Common Road Tyre Services at
    After that first time I developed and built up a hatred for
    prostitutes in order to justify within myself the reason why
    I had attacked and killed WILMA McCANN.
    The next one I did was in Leeds not long after McCANN. This time
    I drove to Leeds looking for a prostitute because I felt I could
    not justify what I had done previously and I felt an inner
    compulsion to kill a prostitute. This was about a month

    (sheet 5)
    after Christmas. I drove to Leeds in my Capri about 8.0pm - 9.0pm
    I saw a woman dressed in an overcoat trying to stop drivers from
    the pavement on the road that leads to Wetherby Road it was near
    some phone boxes. I stopped and wound the window down. I said
    "HOW MUCH?" She said "FIVE POUNDS." She got in the car I remember
    when she got in there was an overpowering smell of cheap perfume
    and sweat this served all the more for me to hate this woman even
    though I didnt even know her, looking back I can see how the
    first murder had unhinged me completely. She had an overcoat on
    and she was heavily built and had brown hair. She said she knew
    where we could go. I knew from the outset I didn't want intercourse
    with her. I just wanted to get rid of her. At that time I think
    I was dressed in my working cloths at that time I used to wear
    wellington boots at work. At her direction I turned the car
    round and drove back the way I'd come, we had just gone
    about 400 yards and she told me to turn left. I turned in and
    then turned left again and drove behind some old buildings it
    was a cul-de-sac I couldn't bear even to go through the motions
    of having sex with this woman. On the journey she told me that
    she could drive.
    I wanted to do what I'd got in mind as soon as possible. I
    remember turning on the ignition again so that the red warning
    light came on and pretended that the car would not start I said
    I would have to lift up the bonnet to sort it out. I asked her
    if she would give me a hand. We both got out of the car I lifted
    up the bonnet of the car. I had picked up a hammer which I had
    put near my seat for that purpose. I told her I could not see

    (sheet 6)
    properly without a torch. She offered to use her cigarette
    lighter to shine under the bonnet.
    She was holding her lighter like this I took a couple of steps
    back and I hit her over the head with the hammer I think I hit
    her twice she fell down onto the road.
    I took hold of her hands or wrists and pulled her into a yard
    which had rubbish in I then made sure she was dead by taking
    a screwdriver and stabbing her repeatedly. I pulled her dress
    up and her bra before I stabbed her to make it easier. To
    be truthfull I pulled her cloths up in order to satisfy some
    sort of sexual revenge on her as on reflection I had done on
    I stabbed her frenziedly without thought with a Phillips
    screwdriver all over her body. I had taken the screwdriver with
    the hammer in the well of the driving seat. I was seething with
    hate for her. I remember picking up a piece of wood from the
    yard about 2-3ft long and 3" x 1" and pushing up against her
    vagina with it as she lay on her back. I cannot recall taking
    her knickers down. I through the wood away in the yard.
    I left her lying on her back I never took anything from her.
    Just as I was about to get into my car a car came round with its
    lights on and stopped a few yards from where my car was. I don't
    know what make of car it was but it scared me. I put the hammer
    and screwdriver on the car floor and drove away. I went straight
    home to my Mother-in-Laws house. At that time I had a feeling
    of satisfaction and justification for what I'd done. I found
    that I didn't have any blood on my cloths which I could see so

    (sheet 7)
    I had no need to dispose of them. I am still unable to recall
    if it was the same hammer I used on JACKSON as I did on McCANN,
    but I do recall buying a new hammer from a hardware shop near the
    roundabout in Clayton, it had a flat head on one side and a
    nail extracter on the other which I later used on women. The
    hammer I used on the first two had a flat head on one end and a
    ball on the other. The next one I did was IRENE RICHARDSON.
    I then owned a Red Corsair and also a White Corsair KWT 721D
    the reg No of the Red one was PHE 355G. I had both of these
    at the same time and I honestly cannot remember which one I was
    using that night.
    I drove to Leeds after the pubs shut. It was my intention to
    find a prostitute to make it one more less.
    I saw this girl walking in some cross streets in the middle
    of the vice estate near a big club. I stopped my car and she
    got in without me saying a word. I told her I might not have
    wanted her, she said "I'LL SHOW YOU A GOOD TIME. YOU ARE NOT
    GOING TO SEND ME AWAY ARE YOU." She told me to drive to the
    park. At this time you knew where I was picking them up. She
    told me where to drive and we came to this big field which was on
    my left. I drove off the road onto the field and stopped near
    some toilets. She wanted to use the toilets so she got out and
    went over to them. She came back and said they were locked.
    Before she went to the toilet she took of her coat and placed
    it on the ground. When she came back she said she would have
    a wee on the ground. She took her boots off and placed them on
    the ground then she crouched down to have a pee. By this time

    (sheet 8)
    I was out of the car and I had my hammer in my hand. As she
    was crouching down I hit her on the head from behind at least
    twice maybe three times she fell down. I then lifted up her
    cloths and slashed her in the lower abdomen and also slashed
    her throat. I left her lying face down and I covered her up
    with her coat I put her knee boots on top of her before I
    covered her up. I then got into my car and drove off the
    field. I cannot remember whether I drove off or backed off.
    When I got to the road I saw a couple sitting on a bench
    near the toilets. I did not see a car.
    I was living with my wife at 6 Garden Lane, Heaton I drove
    straight home. I looked at my cloths before I went in I did not
    see any blood stains I was wearing jeans and I believe I had
    some boots on. I don't remember throwing any of my cloths away.
    I kept the Stanley knife but I haven't seen it for a long time
    I think I may have lent it to someone. I'm still not sure
    which car I was in the Red or White Corsair. I sold the white
    Corsair first to a lad called RONALD BARKER who lives at 46
    Tanton Crescent, Clayton. He only had it about a week
    and he seized it up. I kept the Red one for several months.
    I bought the White Corsair back off RONALD after about two weeks
    and sold it at Canal Road Scrap Yard at Bradford. By this time
    after RICHARDSON killing prostitutes became an obsession with me
    and I couldn't stop myself, it was like some sort of a drug.
    The next one was a couple of months later in Bradford, this was
    PATRICIA ATKINSON. It was a Saturday night late on. I drove
    off Lumb Lane into Church Street I knew this was a prostitute

    (sheet 9)
    area. I was in my Corsair (either the White one or the Red one).
    I saw this woman in St Pauls Road at a junction with another road
    she appeared drunk and was banging on the roof of a White mini and
    was shouting and bawling "FUCK OFF" and such things to the
    driver who then drove off at speed. I pulled up to her and
    stopped and without me asking she jumped in the car. She said
    FLAT WE CAN GO THERE." She told me where to go. We turned
    right at the junction with Manningham Lane, Turned left down
    Queens Road. Left into Oak Avenue and turned 2nd left and
    stopped at her flat.
    She told me she lived alone. I parked up outside her flat and she
    got out and went in. I picked up a hammer as I got out of the
    car. I remember this was a claw hammer that I had bought at
    the Clayton hardware shop.
    I followed her into the flat, she closed the curtains and I
    hung my coat on the hook on the back of the door.
    She took her coat off and sat on the bed her back was slightly
    towards me I went up to her and hit her on the back of the head
    with the hammer she fell off the bed onto the floor. I picked
    her up and put her back on the bed. That was the first time
    I had noticed the red blood, before it had always been dark
    but this time in the light I saw lots of blood on the bed and
    on the floor. When she was on the floor I hit her another
    twice or three times before I put her on the bed I pulled the
    bedcloths back before I put her on the bed.
    She had already pulled her jeans down before I hit her. I pulled

    (sheet 10)
    her cloths up and I hit her severall times on her stomach and
    back with the claw part of the hammer and I saw that I was making
    marks on her body doing this. I then covered her up the
    bedcloths. I think she was lying face down or on her side when
    I left her.
    When I first hit her she was making a horrible gurgling sound
    and she carried on making this noise even though I'd hit her
    a few times. She was still making a gurgling noise when I left,
    but I knew she would not be in a state to tell anybody. I drove
    home and put my car in the garage. I looked at my cloths in the
    garage I saw that I had some blood on the bottom of my jeans I
    went in the house my wife was in bed. I took my jeans off and
    rinsed them under the Cold tap and hung them up. I also saw some
    blood on one of my shoes or they may have been boots I rinsed this
    under the tap and wiped it with a sponge. I believe I
    was wearing a pair of brown Doc Martins boots at that time. I'm
    trying to think what I did with the claw hammer I think I used
    it again on a woman. I have thrown it away over a wall near
    Sharps Printers at Cottingley I can't remember when it was
    exactly. At that time I carried on as though nothing had
    happened. I was then working at Clarks in Bradford.
    The next one I did I still feel terrible about, it was the young
    girl JAYNE McDONALD. I read recently about her father dying
    of a broken heart and it brought it all back to me. I realised
    what sort of a monster I had become.
    I believed at the time I did it that she was a prostitute. This
    was on a Saturday night. I drove to Leeds in my Corsair I think

    (sheet 11)
    it was the red one but I'm not 100% sure. At this time the
    urge to kill prostitutes was very strong and I had gone out of
    my mind.
    I saw this lass walking along quite slowly towards the crossing
    near the Hayfield pub in Chapeltown Road. She stopped on the
    corner before crossing over Chapeltown Road. I anticipated
    that she was going to walk up one of the streets up past the
    Hayfield. I drove my car into the Hayfield pub car park and
    got out.
    I took my hammer out of the car. I think it was the claw hammer
    I also had a knife with me that time it was a kitchen type
    knife with a black ebonite handle and a thin blade. I
    walked towards the narrow street behind the Hayfield to see
    where she was and just as I got there she was walking up.
    I walked behind her I was very near to her, I followed her for
    short distance she never looked round. I took the hammer and
    I hit her on the back of the head and she fell down. I then
    pulled her by the arms face down into a yard behind a fence I
    recall that her shoes were making a horrible scraping sound on
    the ground. I pulled her into the corner of this yard I hit
    her another once at least maybe twice on the head. I pulled
    her cloths up exposing her breasts and I stabbed
    her several times with the knife in the chest before this I
    stabbed her in the back.
    I left her lying in the corner. I cannot remember whether she
    was lying face up or face down she was wearing a jacket and a
    skirt. I walked back down the same street to where I had parked
    my car. As I got to the car park I saw a group of people walking

    (sheet 12)
    up the Narrow street (Reginald Street), from Chapeltown Road.
    I got into my car and drove away into Reginald Terrace into
    Chapeltown Road and drove straight home. I think my wife may
    have been working that night. I have remembered that my wife
    started working some Friday and Saturday nights at Sherrington
    Private Nursing home in Bradford. That is why I have done a lot
    of my attacks on a Saturday night.
    I don't think I had any blood on me following this one. I
    cannot recall what I was wearing then I cannot remember what I
    did with the knife I must have taken it home with me and washed
    it I feel I may have left it in the Corsair when I scrapped it.
    The hammer may have been the one I threw over the wall at Sharps
    Printers. When I saw in the papers that McDONALD was so young
    and not a prostitute I felt like someone inhuman and I realised
    that it was a devil driving me against my will and that I was
    a beast. When the Ripper came up in conversation at work or
    in a pub I was able to detach my mind from the fact that it was
    me they were talking about and I was able to discuss it normally.
    This amazed me at times that I was able to do this.
    The next one was MAUREEN LONG. I saw MAUREEN just a couple of
    weeks ago I was in the Arndale Shopping Centre with my wife when
    I came face to face with her. I recognised her immediately she
    seemed to look at me but she obviously didn't recognise me.
    I was driving along Manningham Lane towards the City Centre one
    Saturday night in July 1977. It was late at night I saw her
    walking on the same side as the Mecca towards Bradford Centre.
    She was wearing a maxi length dress and a jacket sort of coat.

    (sheet 13)
    She was just past the hamburger stand when I saw her.
    I stopped my car and said, "ARE YOU GOING FAR?" She said, "ARE
    YOU GIVING ME A LIFT." I said, if you want one. She got in
    she told me she had been to the Mecca. She told me where she
    lived and that she lived with a man who was an ex-boxer and that
    he was a spoil sport and would not take her to the Mecca. She
    directed me where to drive to her house which was somewhere off
    Leeds Road to the left. She pointed out a house in a row of
    terraced houses where she said she was going. She told me not
    to stop outside but to drive past. I drove about 20 yards
    past and stopped. She got out of the car. She had told me that
    if there was no one in the house we could go in. She had asked
    me if I fancied her and I told her that I did just to please her.
    She went and knocked at the door of the house and she was banging
    away for a minute or two. Then she came back and got into the
    car and told me she knew a place where we could go. She told me
    where to drive and I drove eventually into Bowling Back Lane and
    turned right down a cobbled street. I stopped the car some way
    down the street. There was some spare unlevelled land on the
    left and a big high wall on the right. She got out of the car
    and said she was going for a piss first and she went to the spare
    land and crouched down and had a piss. I had my hammer ready
    as she got out of the car and I also had a knife I think it
    was the same knife I had at McDONALD.
    I got out of the car whilst she was having a piss and as she
    was crouching down I hit her on the head with the hammer. She
    slumped down I pulled her by the hands further onto the spare

    (sheet 14)
    ground. She was not making any sound. I pulled up her cloths
    and I stabbed her three or four times with the knife in her chest
    and back. I did see a caravan with a light on over the spare land
    but it didn't put me off what I was doing I thought that I had
    stabbed her enough when I left her. I went back to the car got in
    and drove off. I was under the impression that the street I was in
    may be a cul-de-sac so I reversed my car by turning it round in
    the street I was in, no I didn't, I remember that I backed out
    of the street into Bowling Back Lane facing towards the
    City. I drove along Bowling Back Lane towards the general
    direction of the City centre and drove home to Garden Lane.
    I believe my wife may have been working that night or else she
    was in bed. I don't think I found any blood on myself on that
    The next day or the day after I heard in the news or read in the
    paper that the woman was still alive. I got a nasty shock and
    thought it was the end of the line there and then. I thought she
    would be able to identify me I think it was about that time that
    I threw the hammer over Sharps wall.
    A few days after I read that LONG was suffering from loss of
    memory and this made me less worried about being caught.
    My desire to kill prostitutes was getting stronger than ever and
    it took me over completely. I was in a dilema I wanted to tell
    someone what I was doing but I thought about how it would affect
    my wife and family. I wasn't too much bothered for myself.
    I realised things were hotting up a bit in Leeds and Bradford.
    People had dubbed me the Ripper. I decided to go to Manchester

    (sheet 15)
    to kill a prostitute. I had read in a paper somewhere or a
    magazine of a priest chastising what went on in his parish at
    Manchester where there obviously was prostitutes.
    One Saturday night in October 1977 I drove over to Manchester
    I believe it was in my Red Corsair. I had a look at my map in
    Road Atlas to see where Moss Side was and I drove there.
    I went through Manchester town centre Princess Street I think
    it was, followed it all the way down past the University which
    eventually came out near the Moss Side area. It was a run down
    area and almost immediately on arriving there I saw several girls
    plying for trade. I pulled up at the kerbside and asked a girl
    if she wanted business. She was very slim with light coloured
    hair not bad looking. She told me if I waited further along
    the road she would meet me there. I drove on two hundred
    yards and made a right turn then a 3 point turn to face the main
    road once again.
    After a couple of minutes the girl drew level she saw my car just
    as she was going to get into another car which had stopped for
    her. I think this was an 1100 a light coloured one either
    grey or fawn. She didn't get in but came over to me, which I
    suppose was the biggest mistake she ever made. She came up
    and got into my car. She told me she was going to go with the
    man in the other car until she saw me. She told me she wanted
    a fiver for business and she told me she knew a place. I drove
    at her direction untill we came to an allotment. She told me
    to drive in the entrance to the allotment which I did. I said

    (sheet 16)
    a greenhouse that was about 30 yards away "THAT BELONGS TO MY
    UNCLE." I said this to her thinking she would get out the car
    to use the greenhouse for business. I told her there was plenty
    of room and some heating in there.
    I was wanting to see her off. She then asked for the money
    OF COURSE NOT." and I promptly gave her a five pound note. She
    got out of the car and headed for the greenhouse I followed her
    and seeing there was no entrance into the greenhouse from where
    we were I told her we would have to climb over a low fence.
    While she was starting to climb over the fence I hit her over the
    head with the hammer. She fell down and was moaning quite
    loudly. I hit her again and again on the head until the moaning
    stopped. At this time I saw some car headlights suddenly come
    on. These were from a car parked further into the allotments
    than I was. I had turned sharp right when I drove in and I was
    parked up close to the Hedge. This car was parked about 60 yards
    further into the allotment. The car started up and I knew it
    would be moving within seconds so I pulled the girl under the
    bushes, the perimeter bushes and threw her belongings handbag
    etc out of the way. On reflection I think there was just her
    handbag I stood with my back to the hedge and threw the bag
    diagonally to my right. I stayed where I was, I saw the car
    out into the road. No sooner had the car gone when another car
    driving along the road which was a dual carriageway slowed right
    down I saw threw the bushes it was indicating left to come into
    the allotments. Thinking this was a very dangerous position to

    (sheet 17)
    be in I hid behind my car. I saw this car drive into the
    allotments, the car drove up the road turned round and stopped
    in the same place the other car had just left from.
    I didn't wait around any longer I jumped into my car and drove
    off towards the centre of Manchester and drove home.
    The hammer I used that night was the one I had found lying in
    my garage after I had taken over my house. I took the hammer
    back with me. Having driven half way back I realised suddenly
    that this didn't put me in the clear because I had given her
    from my wage packet a brand new five pound note. I was working
    at Clarks then. I was in a dilema once again. I kept on
    driving towards home I didn't realise wether she would
    be found or not. I decided I could not risk going back to
    retrieve my £5 note and I carried on home. My wife was either
    working or in bed when I got home.
    I was puzzled when no mention of this was made in the Newspapers
    or TV over the next few days. I decided before a week was out
    that she was lying there undiscovered and that I would go back
    to retrieve the £5 note.
    One night about a week later the opportunity arose for me to go
    back as we were having a house warming party with family and
    gathering the coming weekend. My mother and father brothers and
    sisters came from Bingley to my house and at the end of
    the party I ran them home then I made my return trip to Manchester
    This was about 11pm on either the Saturday or Sunday. I drove
    to the allotments in my red Corsair and arrived there within 45
    minutes. I turned left off the dual carriageway into the allotments.
    To get to there I had to drive to a roundabout and double back to that

    (sheet 18)
    I turned right when I got into the allotments as I had done before
    and parked up about the same place. I found the body still hidden
    in the place I left it. I pulled it out from the bushes and pulled
    off her clothes and boots. I went through them desperately
    trying to find the £5 note. I just threw the cloths about as
    I took them off. I realised that she hadn't got the £5 note in
    her cloths, and that it must have been in her handbag. I roamed
    about all over the allotments frantically searching for the bag,
    but I couldn't find it I was cursing the girl and my luck all the
    time. Having not found the £5 note I gave vent to my frustrations
    by picking up a piece of broken pane of glass and slashing it
    across her stomach, when I did this there was a nausiating smell
    which made me reel back and immediately vomit, it was horrendous.
    I forgot to say that before I did this it was my intention to
    me anyway. I had taken a hacksaw out of my car intending to
    remove her head. I started sawing through her neck the blade
    might have been blunt because I was getting nowhere at all so
    I gave it up. If I had cut the head off I was going to leave it
    somewhere else to make a big mystery out of it. The glass I used
    was about 3/4 of a pane with the corner missing. I was very
    frustrated not having found the £5 note and thinking that my time
    was up. I remember I kicked her a few times and I rolled her over
    before I left her. I then drove away realizing I should stay
    looking for the fiver but I thought I had been there long enough.
    I got home and went to bed when I got home I was very surprised to

    (sheet 19)
    see I had not got much blood on me just a bit on my shoe and at
    the bottom of my trousers on one leg and some on the back of my
    hand. I washed my hands. I was wearing a pair of casual grey
    trousers one of my old pair the blood wouldnt come off these
    I put them in the garage in a cupboard to dispose of later. I
    was wearing my soft slip on shoes dark brown. I wiped these
    clean. I dont think I have got them now. I later burned my
    trousers with some garden rubbish at the other side of our garden
    wall on the field.
    I read about the body of JEAN ROYLE being found and sat back
    waiting for the inevitable as I had assumed that the line of
    enquiry about the £5 note would follow. I read about the note
    being traced to a Shipley bank I knew Clarks got the wage money
    from a Shipley bank and that a local enquiry would be made and
    by some miracle I escaped the dragnet. I've had at least 3
    hacksaws I dont know which one it was I took to Manchester. I
    threw the blade away in the dustbin. One of my hacksaws broke
    after this and I threw it in the bin.
    I had been taken over completely by this urge to kill and I couldn't
    fight it. I went to Leeds one evening in December 1977 to try
    again. I was in my Red Corsair PHE 355G. This is where I found
    I drove into the Red light district at Chapeltown. I was driving
    along a street I now know a Leopold Street where I saw her
    walking along along Spencer Place, from the phone boxes at the
    end. I saw her reject a man in a car who had stopped and she
    carried on. I turned left into Spencer Place turned 1st left

    (sheet 20)
    and left again into a narrow street and stopped near the corner
    of the road I had just been on.
    It was my intention to get her into my car with the minimum of
    fuss. I knew she had refused to get in one car so I got out of
    my car and walked to the corner. She was only a few yards away
    walking towards where I was stood. I walked back to my car and
    as she came into view I shouted "BYE NOW SEE YOU LATER" and "TAKE
    CARE" and I waived towards the houses on my left. I did this to
    give her reassurance that I was alright. I got in and started
    the engine and opened the passenger window. I asked her if she was
    doing business. She glanced at the house said "YES" and got in.
    She told me where to drive. She asked my name I told her it was
    DAVE. We had some conversation in the car but I cannot remember
    what I might have said. She directed me to this place which
    was up a narrow lane and I can only describe it as an oasis of
    mud it was an open area with a building to one side. I parked up.
    I suggested she got into the back of the car. She aggreed and she
    got out and she went to the rear passenger door nearside. When she
    got out I got out with my hammer which I had on the floor at my
    side. I went round the front of my car and up behind her. I took
    a swing at her with the hammer but I slipped on the mud and lost my
    balance. I only caught her a glancing blow on the head.
    She cried out and I hit her again on the head. She was still scream-
    ing. After the second blow she fell down. I saw some people walking
    along about 40 yards away on the narrow Road at the top.
    I jumped in my car and started it up. I put my foot down but the
    back wheels started spinning and I couldn't drive off at first.

    (sheet 21)
    When the car got a grip I slewed round to the right and I drove
    away with a lot of wheel spin. I drove straight home.
    That night I was wearing the old brown car coat which you've
    got and a pair of blue jeans and a pair of brown Doc Martins

    I have read the above statement and I have been told that I can
    correct alter or add anything I wish. This statement is true,
    I have made it of my own free will.
    SGD: P W Sutcliffe WTD: J Boyle DI P Smith DS 368
    D A F O'Boyle DS 4169

    I, PETER WILLIAM SUTCLIFFE wish to make a statement and I want
    someone to write down what I say, I have been told that I need
    not say anything unless I wish to do so and that whatever I say
    may be given in Evidence.
    SGD: P W Sutcliffe WTD: J Boyle DI P Smith DS 368
    D A P O'Boyle DS 4169

    (DATE TAKEN: 5.1.81 Time: From 9.50am to 3:15pm)

    The one I did after MOORE was YVONNE PEARSON at Bradford. I was
    driving along Lumb Lane in my Red Corsair from the City Centre.
    A light grey or fawn Mark II Cortina started backing out of
    Southfield Square on my left as I approached so I slowed down to
    let it out. That's when I saw YVONNE PEARSON she was blond and
    was wearing dark trousers. On reflection it was a very fatefull
    moment for her me just slowing down as she came along.
    She stepped straight up to the car as I stopped and tapped on the
    window. She asked me if I wanted business. This was one time when

    (sheet 22)
    I was genuinely going home as it happened but I still had a hammer in
    the car on the floor, under my seat. I told her to get in. She
    suggested that I turn the car round and she told me where to drive.
    I drove back along Lumb Lane past Drummond Mill turned right
    down a road onto White Abbey Road and I was directed to turn by
    YVONNE left into a street behind Silvios Bakery. I drove to
    the very end of this street where there was a large open space
    like a parking space and parked the car. I asked her how much
    she wanted. She said "IT DEPENDS HOW MUCH YOU CAN AFFORD." "A
    GOOD TIME £5, MORE THAN A GOOD TIME £10." She had very few
    words to say after that, the last words she said was "SHALL WE GET
    INTO THE BACK." We both got out and she went round to the back
    door of the car on the nearside she tried to open it but it was
    locked. I opened the front passenger door reached in and opened
    the rear door catch. As she opened the door I hit her from behind
    twice on the head with the hammer. She fell down and started to
    moan loudly. I dragged her by the feet on her back about 20 yards
    or so to where there was an old settee lying on its back on some
    spare land. When I got her to the settee she was still moaning
    loudly. At that moment a car drove up and parked next to my car.
    I saw there was blond woman in the car and a man driving. To
    stop her moaning I took some filling from the settee. I held her
    nose and shoved the straw into her mouth then I shoved it down her
    throat. I was kneeling behind the settee hiding from the motor
    car keeping hold of her nose.
    I let go after a while to see if she was still making a nose through
    her nose but when I did she started again so I took hold of her

    (sheet 23)
    nose again. The car seemed to be there for ages before it drove
    away. I stayed still petrified with fear while the car was there.
    When the car had gone I was seething with rage. Her jeans were
    nearly off because she had undone them at the car and when I was
    pulling her by the feet I nearly pulled them off. I pulled her
    jeans right off. I think I kicked her hard to the head and body
    I was senceless with rage and I was kicking away furiously at her.
    After this I remember acting very strangely, I talked to her and
    apologised for what I had done but she was dead. I put the settee
    on top of her. I was very distraught and I was in tears when I
    left her. This was the first time I had apologised to someone
    I had killed. I drove home I cannott recall the time but it was
    after 9.0pm. I cant remember if Sonja was in the house or not.
    I remember stopping on the way home and I just sat in the car
    trying to work out why I had done this killing my mind was in a
    turmoil. Oh I've just remembered it might have been a walling
    hammer that I used on YVONNE, there was two walling hammers in the
    garage of the house when I moved in I remember I put one in the
    car when I threw the other one away at Sharps. It might still
    be in the garage somewhere.
    I kept reading the papers and I found it incredible to believe
    that she hadn't been found. I read a story that she had gone to
    Wolverhampton. I didnt dare go back to where she lay there was no
    reason to go back. Before YVONNE was found I had committed
    another murder in Huddersfield HELEN RYTKA. I did not know the
    Huddersfield Red light area but one day I had to make a delivery
    in Huddersfield in the afternoon, I noticed a few girls plying

    (sheet 24)
    for trade near the Market Area. Two or three nights later I
    decided to pay them a visit. The urge inside me to kill girls
    was now practicly uncontrollable I drove to Huddersfield in my
    Red Corsair one Evening. When I got to the Red light area I came
    accross one or two girls walking round the street. I stopped and
    asked one girl if she was doing business. She said Yes but I'd
    have to wait as her regular client was picking her up at any minute.
    She was a half cast girl. I drove off and after going about
    50 yards round the corner I saw another half cast girl. I stopped
    and asked her and she got in.
    She told me she shared a flat with her sister but she was quite
    willing to have sex in the car. She said it would cost £5. She
    told me where to drive which was only about 80 - 90 yards away
    in a timber yard. I drove straight into this yard and parked in
    an area at the end of the lane that ran between the stack of wood.
    On the way to the Yard we passed the half cast girl I had tried to
    pick up. She told me that it was her sister. Afterwards when I
    had read about it in the papers I realised that I had seen these
    two RYTKA sisters in Clayton where they used to live. I must have
    given her some money but I cant recall handing it over to her,
    because she started to undo her jeans and started to pull them down.
    Then she hesitated and she said it would be better in the back of
    the car. I aggreed thinking that it was what I wanted her to do
    We both got out she went to the rear nearside door. I picked up
    a hammer from under my seat and walked round the front. By the
    time I got to her she had opened the rear door and was getting in.

    (sheet 25)
    I hit her on the head with the hammer as she was practically into
    the car. The hammer struck the edge of the top door sill and
    diminished the impact with her skull to a mere tap. She jumped
    back in alarm out of the car at the same time letting go of her
    jeans which fell down around her knees and she exclaimed "WHAT
    WAS THAT." To which I replied, "JUST A SMALL SAMPLE OF ONE OF
    THESE." and I hit a furious blow to her head which knocked her
    down she just crumpled like a sack. She was making a loud moaning
    sound so I hit her a few more times on the head. On looking up
    I realised that I had done this in full view of two taxi drivers
    who were no more that 35 yards away up the right hand side of
    the woodyard. Their cars were parked one behind the other facing
    me. The drivers were stood talking to each other. I dragged
    HELEN by the hands to the end of the woodyard. I then pulled off
    her jeans and her knickers and her shoes or boots. She had stopped
    moaning but she wasn't dead. I could see her eyes moving. She
    held up her hand as though to ward off any further attack from
    I told her not to make any more noise and she would be alright.
    By this time I was aroused sexually so I had intercourse with her.
    I just undid my fly I spread her legs out and did it. It only
    took a few minutes before I ejaculated inside her.
    Her eyes appeared to be focusing on me when I was doing it but she
    just layed there limp she didn't put anything in to it. When I'd
    finished I got up and she began moaning once again and started to
    move as well. We were out of sight of the taxi drivers but I knew
    they could quite possibly have heard the sounds. I couldn't drive

    (sheet 26)
    away for obvious reasons one being that she was still showing
    signs of life. I was worried sick that I was about to be
    discovered and was furious that she could not keep quiet. I
    took my knife from my pocket, I think it was the one with the rosewood
    handle which is probable still at home in my knifedrawer. I
    plunged the knife into her ribs and again into her heart I did this
    five or six times. Before I did this I had taken all her cloths
    off apart her jumper. I threw these over the wall.
    I dragged her by the arms to where I thought she would not be
    discovered which was behind some bushes in a gap between a
    woodpile and a wall. There wasnt much room I had to part lift
    part pull her in. Then I covered her up with a piece of asbestos
    sheet. I stayed in the woodyard for some minutes and when I
    looked the taxi drivers had gone. I reversed out of the yard
    and drove off. The operation had taken about half an hour. I
    drove straight home. I found that I had some blood on one of my
    fawn court shoes I rinsed it off.
    I had my Levi jeans and I think I had a dark blue pullover on but
    I couldnt see any blood on these.
    I kept the hammer I'm not sure which one it was but I dont think
    it was the walling hammer.
    The urge inside me still diminished my actions when it came to
    the fore. The next time I felt this way I payed another visit
    to Manchester one evening a few months after RYTKA. I went there
    in my Red Corsair to the Red light Area. When I got there there
    was no sign of any girls so after reaching a night Club on a
    corner in a small labyrinth of terraced houses about 3/4 mile square

    (sheet 27)
    I took the 3rd left after the night club which was a long street
    running from one end to the other of this area. I drove down to
    the bottom end and there I saw a woman obviously waiting to be
    picked up. It was VERA MILLWARD. I stopped and asked her if she
    was doing business. She said "YES" but it would have to be in
    the car. The price was £5 she got in and I drove off.
    She told me where to drive and I followed her directions which led
    us into a hospital grounds. I stopped the car in an area near a
    narrow road from where I could see an Archway obviously used by
    pedestrians. I parked up the car and suggested to her that it
    would be better in the back. I dont think I'd payed her. She got
    out of my car and went to the back door. I picked my hammer up
    from under the seat and walked round the back of the car. As she
    was opening the rear door I hit her on the head with the hammer
    and she dived backwards past where I was stood. She was on her
    hands and knees when I hit her again at least once. She fell flat
    on her face. I pulled her by her wrists over to the edge
    of the area where there was either a fence or bushes.
    I took out my knife I was carrying I think it may have been the
    same one I used on RYTKA but I'm not sure. I pulled her cloths up
    and slashed her stomach either vertical or diagonal. It opened
    up her stomach. Then I rolled her over onto her stomach and left
    her lying there. I drove away. I think I had to reverse out to
    get back again. I didnt get any blood on me on that occasion. I
    think I was wearing my brown car coat which you've got.
    Following MILLWARD the compulsion inside me seemed to lay
    dormant but eventually the feeling came welling up and each time

    (sheet 28)
    they were more random and indiscriminate. I now realized I had
    the urge to kill any woman and I thought that this would eventually
    get me caught but I think that in my sub-concious this was what I
    really wanted.
    The next one was JOSEPHINE WHITTAKER at Halifax. By this time I had
    a black fast back Sunbeam Rapier NKU 888H. I had sold my red
    Corsair to a Chap who lived in Eccleshill because it had a raggy
    gear box. I drove to Halifax I'd been driving round aimlessly
    the mood was in me and no woman was safe while I was in this
    state of mind. Without realizing or without having a particular
    destination I arrived in Halifax late at night.
    I drove along through the centre passed the Bulls Head Round the
    Roundabout past the Halifax Building Society. I came to a wide
    road with a sweeping curve to it I took a right turn and eventually
    came to a big open grass area. I just kept driving round this grassy
    area untill I came to a row of Terrace Houses about 1/4 mile from
    the grass area. I saw JOSEPHINE WHITTAKER walking up this street.
    She was wearing a 3/4 length skirt and a jacket. I parked up in
    this street with Terrace houses and started to follow her on foot
    and I caught up with her after a couple of minutes. I realized
    she was not a prostitute but at that time I wasnt bothered I just
    wanted to kill a woman. When I caught up with her I started
    talking to her. I asked her if she had far to go. She said,
    "ITS QUITE A WALK" She didn't seem alarmed by my approach. I
    continued walking alongside her and she started speaking to me
    about having just left her Grandmothers and that she had considered
    staying there but had decided to walk home. I asked her if she

    (sheet 29)
    had considered learning to drive I think she said she rode a horse
    and that it was a satisfactory form of transport. We were
    approaching the open grassland area. She told me that she
    normally took a short cut accross the field.
    I said you don't know who you can trust these days. It sounds
    a bit evil now there was I walking along with my hammer and a
    big Phillips screwdriver in my pocket ready to do the
    We both started to walk diagonally across the grass field we were
    still talking when we were about 30 - 40 yards from the main road
    I asked her what time it was on the clock tower which was to our
    right. She looked at the clock and told me what time it was.
    I forget the time she said. I said to her she must have good
    eyesight and I lagged behind her pretending to look at the clock.
    I took my hammer out of my pocket and hit her on the back of the
    head twice she fell down and she made a loud groaning sound. To
    my horror I saw a figure walking along the main road from my
    I took hold of her by the ankles and dragged her face down away
    from the road further into the field. She was still moaning as I
    did this. When I thought I was a safe distance from the road I
    stopped. Then I heard voices from somewhere behind me to my
    left. I saw at least two figures walking along the path accross
    the field toward the Huddersfield Road. I forgot to mention that
    on the way up to the grass we passed a man walking a dog. We
    were within 5 feet of him. As these people were walking on the
    path she was still moaning loudly. I took my screwdriver I

    (sheet 30)
    remember I first pulled some of her clothing off. I was working
    like lightening and it all a blur. I turned her over and stabbed
    her numerous times in the chest and stomach with the screwdriver.
    I was in a frenzy. After I'd stabbed her she stopped moaning. I
    left her lying face down. I walked over to the main road but I
    thought I saw someone coming up from the bottom so I went back
    accross the field the way I had come and went to my car. I
    drove home I dont think I had any blood on me but my feet were
    covered in mud. I had my black boots on which had been worn
    out and thrown in the bin. I had my old brown coat on that
    My urge to kill remained strong and was totally out of my control.
    The next victim of mine was BARBARA LEACH at Bradford.
    At that time September 1979 I had my Rover 3.5 FHY 400K. I think
    I had been working on my car one Saturday night and I took it out
    for a run. I had the urge which was in me and I went to look
    for a victim. It was late so I drove straight into town and then
    found myself going up by the University. When I reached the
    Manville Arms I had just passed it when I saw a girl who I later
    found out was BARBARA LEACH. She was walking up the road on my
    I drove past her and turned left into a wide street. I just
    drove a few yards and stopped on the nearside. I was just going
    to get out of the car when Miss LEACH turned the corner and
    walked towards the car. She was walking at a very slow pace. She
    was wearing jeans. She carried on walking past the car. I left
    the car and followed her for several yards. I had my hammer out

    (sheet 31)
    and I think I had my big screwdriver with me. When she reached
    an entrance yard to a house I hit her on the head with the hammer
    she fell down. She was moaning. I took hold of her by the
    wrists or was it by the ankles and dragged her up this entrance to
    the back of the house. She kept making loud moaning noises.
    There was like a dustbin area at the rear of the house I
    remember that I stabbed BARBARA with the screwdriver the same
    one as WHITTAKER and I remember that I put her in the dustbin
    area and covered her up with something but I was acting like
    an Automition and I cant seem to remember the sequence of
    actions. I think I was wearing my brown coat that night. When
    I left her I went to my car and drove away and went straight home.
    I remember I later threw the big screwdriver away over the
    enbankment near the the lorry park on the westbound side of
    Hartshead Service Station.
    The last one I did was JACQUELINE HILL up at Headingly. This
    was on a Monday night. I drove to Leeds on Leeds Bradford Road
    straight through the traffic lights at Kirkstall up the hill to
    Headingley. I was in my Rover. I saw a Kentucky Fried Chicken
    Place. I parked up outside it and went in and bought some Fried
    Chicken. I took it back to the car and ate it in the car. I had
    parked in a car park at the back of the Kentucky Fried Chicken
    When I'd had this I drove out to the traffic lights intending to
    turn right at the main road but I found it was a no right turn
    so I carried straight on through the lights. I turned right into
    a road, Right again and came back to the main Road it was just

    (sheet 32)
    a junction with no traffic lights.
    I turned left on the main road (Otley Road). I was driving slowly
    when I saw Miss HILL walking on the pavement to my right towards
    the road I now know is Alma Road. I decided she was a likely victim.
    I drove just past her turned right into Alma Road and parked in the
    near side about 5 - six yards up and waited for her to pass. I saw
    her walk up the right hand side of the road (Alma Road).
    I got out of the car and followed about 3 yards behind her. As she
    drew level with an opening on the right hand side I took my hammer
    out of my pocket and struck her a blow on the head. She fell down
    she was making a noise. By this time I was again in a world of my
    own out of touch with reality. I dragged her I cannot remember
    whether by the feet or the hands into the entrance to the spare land.
    Just as I got there a car drove into Alma Road from Otley Road with
    its headlights on. I threw myself to the ground so I wouldn't be
    seen. The car passed. I can't imagine how I wasnt seen.
    By now Miss HILL was moving about and I think I hit her once again
    or maybe twice on the head. Then I dragged her further onto the
    spare lane out of sight of the road. As I was doing this a girl
    walked past the entrance I think she was walking up the road away
    from Otley Road. I just stopped dead and waited for her to pass.
    I pulled Miss HILL's cloths off most of them I had a screwdriver
    on me I think it had a yellow handle and a bent blade. I stabbed
    her in her lungs.
    Her eyes were wide open and she seemed to be looking at me with
    an accusing stare.
    This shook me up a bit I jabbed the screwdriver into her eye but

    (sheet 33)
    they stayed open and I felt worse than ever.
    I left her lying on her back with her feet towards the entrance.
    I think she was dead when I left. I went to my car and drove
    up Alma Road to the top and turned round and drove back down to
    Otley Road.
    I remember that when I reached about halfway down someone walking
    indicated to me that I was obviously going the wrong way down a
    one way street but I carried on into Otley Road and turned left
    I turned right at the lights and drove home.
    The hammer I used on HILL was the one I dumped at Sheffield with
    the knife I've told you about before.

    I have read the above statement and I have been told that I can
    correct alter or add anything I wish. This statement is true I
    have made it of my own free will.

    SGD: P W Sutcliffe WTD: J Boyle DI
    P Smith DS 368 D A F O'Boyle DS 4169


  3. #3
    Senior Administrator- Member Assistant
    REALJEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Crows Nest, NSW, Australia

    new High Court denies parole to Peter Sutcliffe the Yorkshire Ripper

    High Court denies parole to Peter Sutcliffe the Yorkshire Ripper

    The man who killed 13 women in Britain and terrorised a north England community for years has been told he will spend the rest of his life behind bars.

    After nearly 30 years in jail, Peter Sutcliffe, also known as the Yorkshire Ripper, had asked the High Court in London to grant him parole, but instead the judge ruled that a whole life term was the most appropriate sentence.

    In October 1975 Sutcliffe claimed his first victim, Wilma McCann, a prostitute working in the Leeds area.

    While not all of his targets were prostitutes, he would later tell police that God had told him to kill street workers.

    Wilma McCann's son Richard was in court when Justice Mitting said that the Yorkshire ripper would die in custody.

    "There'll always be a risk that that man could cause harm to other people, and not just for that reason, but for justice to be done, I think he has to remain behind bars," he said.

    For more than five years Sutcliffe terrorised northern England with his murderous campaign, but he was leading a parallel life as a truck driver and devoted husband.

    By the end of 1980, Britain was in the grip of the biggest man hunt in the country's history. Thirteen women were dead; seven others had been attacked.

    Theresa Toth was lucky to have survived her encounter with the serial killer. She was in hospital undergoing surgery for brain damage when she saw his capture on the evening news.

    Sutcliffe was finally caught after a routine police check found that the car he was driving in with a prostitute had false number plates.

    Tony Harney reported on the arrest for the Yorkshire Post and has followed the case closely.

    He was allowed to visit Peter Sutcliffe at the high security hospital where he is being treated for paranoid schizophrenia.

    "He looked extremely overweight, slightly balding, his beard had gone," Harney said.

    "Dentists had repaired the gap in his front teeth and he just didn't look like Peter Sutcliffe, other than there was something about him that - even in Broadmoor where everybody almost is a killer - Peter Sutcliffe stood out."

    The original sentencing judge gave the Yorkshire ripper no minimum term. So after nearly 30 years the Yorkshire ripper wanted to be granted parole.

    But in London's High Court overnight, Justice Mitting said the brutality and gravity of the offences speak for themselves.

    He said the only explanation for the crime was anger, hatred and obsession.

    Sutcliffe now joins the list of 38 others among a prison population in the UK of 85,000 who will never again be free.

    Life is great when you have the love of a wonderful man and to be able to love him back

    Join us , as you need to be a member to view attachments,photos and other files. It is free and quick.
    Looking for a case? try an advanced search registering will give you more options
    Follow us on Twitter and facebook
    Link Directory

  4. #4
    Senior Administrator- Member Assistant
    REALJEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Crows Nest, NSW, Australia

    Default Yorkshire Ripper bids to challenge 'whole life' tariff

    Yorkshire Ripper bids to challenge 'whole life' tariff

    Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe has started a bid to challenge a High Court order that he can never be released from prison.

    Last month a judge refused an application made by the 64-year-old to have a minimum term set to give him the chance of parole.

    He received 20 life sentences in 1981 for murdering 13 women and attempting to murder seven others.
    The serial killer is detained at Broadmoor psychiatric hospital.

    At a hearing on 16 July, Mr Justice Mitting ruled the former Bradford lorry driver, now known as Peter Coonan, must serve a "whole life" tariff.

    In making his judgement he said: "Apart from a terrorist outrage, it is difficult to conceive of circumstances in which one man could account for so many victims.

    "Those circumstances alone make it appropriate to set a whole life term."
    Sutcliffe used a hammer to attack his first victim on 5 July 1975.

    He is said to have believed he was on a "mission from God" to kill prostitutes - although not all of his victims were sex workers.

    Mutilated bodies

    He was dubbed the Yorkshire Ripper because he mutilated his victims' bodies using a hammer, a sharpened screwdriver and a knife.
    He has spent nearly all his years in custody at Broadmoor in Berkshire after being diagnosed as mentally ill, but refused treatment until 1993 when the Mental Health Commission ruled it should be given forcibly.
    A judge recently refused to allow fresh psychiatric evidence, which said he posed a "low risk of reoffending" to be admitted as part of the tariff-setting exercise.

    A spokeswoman for the Judicial Communications Office confirmed Sutcliffe had now started appeal moves.

    She said: "I can now confirm that an application for leave to appeal the whole life order by Justice Mitting has been lodged with the Court of Appeal."

    No date has been fixed for the hearing.

    Life is great when you have the love of a wonderful man and to be able to love him back

    Join us , as you need to be a member to view attachments,photos and other files. It is free and quick.
    Looking for a case? try an advanced search registering will give you more options
    Follow us on Twitter and facebook
    Link Directory

  5. #5
    Senior CCF Detective eagleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The nest


    Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe has lost a bid to go to the highest Court in the land to challenge an order that he can never be released.

    The serial killer's latest attempt to have his "whole life" tariff overturned was rejected by Court of Appeal judges.

    He had wanted to take his case to the Supreme Court.

    The Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge, has announced that his application had been rejected.

    Lord Judge said the Court of Appeal had refused to certify that a point of general public importance was involved in the appeal.

    A High Court judge ruled last year that the serial killer of 13 women must serve a "whole life" tariff.

    Sutcliffe, who is now known as Peter Coonan, had his appeal against that order rejected by the Lord Chief Justice, Mr Justice Calvert-Smith and Mr Justice Griffith Williams at the Court of Appeal in January.

    The former Bradford lorry driver was convicted at the Old Bailey in 1981.

    Sutcliffe, now 64, received 20 life terms for the murder of 13 women and the attempted murder of others in Yorkshire and Greater Manchester.

    Peter Sutcliffe fails in latest attempt to have 'whole life' tariff overturned (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)

  6. #6
    Senior CCF Detective eagleboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    The nest


    The Yorkshire Ripper’s continued bid for freedom was last night branded a “waste of time” by his brother.

    Serial killer Peter Sutcliffe had applied to the Supreme Court to consider his challenge to a ruling that he will never be released.

    But the application to have the case heard in the highest court in the land has been rejected by the Lord Chief Justice, Sir Igor Judge, it was announced yesterday.

    Sutcliffe’s brother Mick Sutcliffe, of Cottingley, Bingley, said the result had been expected.

    He said: “We all knew this was going to happen.

    “They’re not going to give him a chance of freedom, it’s a waste of time.

    “It’s not a surprise – he’s just accepting it, he knows he’s not coming out.”

    Yorkshire Ripper attack survivor Olive Smelt, now 82, said Sutcliffe should never be freed.

    She said: “Why should he get out, after what he’s done?

    “He left a lot of kids without parents. He’s better off staying where he is.

    “They won’t let him out now I don’t think, that’s it for good I think.”

    Richard McCann, whose mother, Wilma, was Sutcliffe’s first murder victim, said he was relieved when he heard the latest attempt had been rejected.

    He said: “I am just relieved that we have got this result.

    “I wasn’t even aware of it until just a few days ago, that he had moved to appeal, it came as a surprise.

    “I’m obviously relieved as I’m sure most people in the country are and to be honest with you, I didn’t expect anything else.”

    Peter Sutcliffe's plea for freedom to highest court in the land rejected (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)

  7. #7
    Junior Member firezuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015

    Default Re: Peter William Sutcliffe

    Hard to believe he would be considered for parole at all.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts