Thread: Body of missing Jorelys Rivera, 7, found

new Body of missing Jorelys Rivera, 7, found

Atlanta (CNN) -- Police have found the body of a 7-year-old Georgia girl who went missing more than two days ago, the state's chief law enforcement official said Monday.

Police believe Jorelys Rivera was abducted, sexually assaulted and murdered at her apartment complex in Canton, about 40 miles north of Atlanta, said Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) Director Vernon Keenan.

"This is going to be a very, very horrendous crime. I am convinced of that after having observed the body. A child death is always a terrible thing, but a child who dies under extreme violence is the absolute worst thing," he told reporters.

An autopsy will be done to determine the cause of death, Keenan said.

The girl was last seen Friday near a playground at her apartment. Police initially thought she might have wandered off, but after more than 48 hours of searching, they said they believed the girl was kidnapped.

Canton police, assisted by the FBI and the GBI, expanded the search area Monday and began canvassing for sex offenders living nearby. They are now asking for help to find out who killed the little girl. Her body was found in a dumpster at the apartment complex where she lived.
    Missing 7-year-old body found

"We need help from the public," said Police Chief Jeff Lance. As of Monday afternoon, Keenan said, investigators were actively pursuing leads, but police had no one in custody and no suspects.

"Quite frankly, at this point we do not have a strong suspect. We've not focused in on anyone. We very much need information from the public who may know something about the abduction of this child," said Keenan.

State troopers were stopping and talking to everyone entering, leaving or driving by the apartment complex Monday afternoon.

Earlier, as volunteers and police handed out fliers with information and a picture of the missing child, her mother spent the morning in court trying to regain custody of her other children, who were taken by the Department of Family and Children's Services for alleged lack of supervision.

The girl's parents are not suspects, Keenan said.

Joselin Rivera had spoken with local media hours after her young daughter went missing Friday, saying she just wanted her returned safely.

After the girl's body was found, neighbors said they feared for their safety. Speaking in Spanish, Luis Fernando Montenegro said he was concerned for his daughter, who attends night school.

"If she (Rivera) was abducted here and her body was also found here in the (apartment) complex, how do we know the killer is not still here?" he asked.

CNN

First loves...First kisses...
    My first look at my newborn son...
    When I am cold and dead...
    All these memories will be gone...
    Like tears in rain...
    Join us , as you need to be a member to view attachments,photos and other files. It is free and quick.
    Looking for a case? try an advanced search registering will give you more options
    Follow us on Twitter
    and facebook
    Link Directory

• Advertising

advertising
      CrimeCaseFiles.com
      has no influence
      on advertisings
      that are displayed

new Arrest made in Georgia girl's killing

Canton, Georgia (CNN) -- The suspect in the slaying of a 7-year-old Georgia girl worked in the apartment complex where she lived, investigators said Wednesday.

Authorities arrested maintenance worker Ryan Brunn, 20, Wednesday afternoon.

He is charged with killing 7-year-old Jorelys Rivera, who was last seen alive Friday near a playground at the apartment complex in Canton. Investigators found her body in a trash compactor there three days later.

Tips from the public led investigators to Brunn, who had been working at the complex since November 7, authorities said.

"We believe that this horrendous crime was planned and calculated," Vernon Keenan, the director of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, told reporters.

One resident said she told investigators about a recent conversation she had with Brunn, who mentioned that someone could break into one of the many vacant apartments in the complex and harm a child.

Jorelys was abducted "in the immediate vicinity" of the apartment complex's playground, then taken to an empty apartment nearby, Keenan said.

"We have evidence that the murder occurred in that vacant apartment," he said. "At some point, the child's body was then disposed of in the Dumpster and compacted into trash."

Authorities have said Jorelys died of blunt force trauma to the head, was stabbed and had been sexually assaulted.

Earlier, Keenan said investigators had found blood in an empty apartment.

Brunn's adopted brother told CNN affiliate WXIA that the arrest was a "big mistake," and said investigators should have focused on the complex's other maintenance workers.

"I honestly think he is innocent. There's just no way he would do something like this. He's just a kindhearted person," Connor Brunn told WXIA.

He said he'd spoken with his brother since the killing.

"He just told me he wouldn't touch a girl like that, he wouldn't ever do something like that. ... This is just all bogus. ... He knew that he was suspected but he never, like, thought that it would go to him. He was asked to help to go look for this little girl. And then he got brought into this," Connor Brunn said.

Neighbor Heather Johnson-Coker said residents were suspicious of Ryan Brunn after investigators found Jorelys' body in the trash compactor, which can only be operated with a key that employees at the complex have.

She said the maintenance worker had mentioned the large number of vacant apartments in the complex when a boy from the area went missing for a few hours recently.

"He said, and I quote, 'It would be really easy for someone to break in and do something to one of these children,'" Johnson-Coker told HLN Wednesday.

"I did talk to him on a daily basis and he seemed like a relatively nice guy. He wasn't socially awkward. He didn't seem to have any type of anger issue. He seemed like a regular, decent person who worked there to make a living just like anybody else," she said. "The statement at the time did not shock me. I did not think anything odd about it."

But Johnson-Corker said she told investigators about the conversation after investigators found Jorelys' body.

Days earlier, the maintenance worker was in a search party with her husband after Jorelys went missing.

"They were together searching not five feet from each other, and it just turns my stomach thinking about it," she said.

After Ryan Brunn's arrest Wednesday, mother Joselin Rivera wept next to a family memorial for her daughter, and said she didn't know if she would recognize the suspect.

"I can't tell you who he is. ... I don't want any charges brought against him. What I want is the death penalty. He's an animal. He killed my little angel," Joselin Rivera told CNN affiliate WSB.

She wore a T-shirt with Jorelys' picture that said, "We will always remember you."

Georgia Bureau of Investigation spokesman John Bankhead told CNN the 7-year-old's slaying was one of the most brutal crimes his agency has ever seen.

Ryan Brunn was one of hundreds of people investigators interviewed in their search for suspects, Keenan said Wednesday.

"We're confident that Brunn is a killer," Keenan said, but he added that the investigation will continue for months.

"We are investigating all of the past history of Ryan Brunn and piecing together what he's been doing the last several years," Keenan said. "We have sent agents to other states and also to other counties and we're going to backtrack all of his activities and make a determination if he has been involved in other crimes. He has no known criminal history to us, but we will find out."

Posts on a Facebook page that friends said belonged to Brunn recently talked of plans to move to Canton.

"New job,apt,life coming soon," an October 6 post said. A post on November 5 said, "Today is moving day! Not ready to go but i got to."

The brutal killing has shaken residents of the apartment complex, located about 40 miles north of Atlanta.

Residents shouted words like "monster" and "scum bucket" at Ryan Brunn as authorities arrested him Wednesday, neighbor Kelly Knight told HLN's "Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell."

"It was very surreal. As soon as we heard they were coming in to that apartment, I went outside my door and I witnessed it all. And I even hollered at him that I'd like to shoot him myself," Knight said.

Ryan Brunn is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday at 1:30 p.m. at the Cherokee County Courthouse in Canton, Keenan said.

CNN's Gustavo Valdes, Holly Firfer, Mike Brooks and Rich Phillips contributed to this report from Canton, Georgia. CNN's Catherine E. Shoichet wrote the story in Atlanta.

CNN

Like tears in rain...
    Join us , as you need to be a member to view attachments,photos and other files. It is free and quick.
    Looking for a case? try an advanced search registering will give you more options
    Follow us on Twitter
    and facebook
    Link Directory

Police distraught over the injuries of girl, 7, who was sexually assaulted, stabbed and beaten to death

• Body of Jorelys Rivera found brutally disfigured in dumpster on Monday

• Autopsy showed she died from blunt head trauma

• Cops call it 'a very calculated and planned crime' as they continue to hunt for suspect

The chief investigator into the death of Jorelys Rivera was so distraught over the girl's wounds he refused to describe them.

The seven-year-old girl, whose body was found in a Georgia dumpster, was bludgeoned, sexually assaulted and stabbed in a particularly vicious attack by a killer who police believe lives in her apartment complex.

The wounds to her body were so severe Georgia Bureau of Investigation Director Vernon Keenan would not give any details.

Mr Keenan would only say she had blunt force trauma to the head and stab wounds and that the crime as a 'very horrific and brutal murder.'

Police believe the girl was taken to a vacant apartment where she was sexually assaulted, stabbed and beaten to death, police believe.

The killer then threw Jorelys Rivera's brutally disfigured body into a trash bin near her home in Canton, Georgia where it was found by police.

It came about 60 to 90 minutes after she disappeared, he said.

‘This was a very calculated and planned crime,’ Keenan said. 'A child who dies under extreme violence is absolutely the worst thing that can happen to a human being.'

Investigators believe the killer either lives in the apartment complex or has regular access to it.

No suspects are in custody but investigations continue. DNA evidence has been collected from the child's body and the vacant apartment.

Rivera was last seen on Friday afternoon, and her body was discovered around 12.30 pm on Monday.

Police and volunteers had spent the weekend combing the area around the apartment complex playground where she was last seen.

At the time of her disappearance, the child was being looked after by a teenage babysitter along with her two siblings.

She had left the park to go and collect drinks from home for her friends, and disappeared between the playground and her home at the River Ridge Apartments.

Police had sent several Coca-Cola cans found nearby for forensic testing to see if these are the drinks that the child had gone to collect for her friends.

Jorelys' mother Joselin Rivera had made an emotional plea for her return and her father, who lives in Florida, had flown to the city in Cherokee County.

A friend translated for Spanish-speaking Mrs Rivera to local TV station 11alive.com.

She said her daughter was 'friendly, sweet, had lots of friends and everyone just loved her'.

Keenan said investigators have received numerous tips from the public and said valuable evidence has come from residents at the apartment complex.

Several sex offenders living at the complex have been identified and interviewed, Keenan said.

But he added: ‘We have no reason to believe, at this point, that sex offenders are involved.’

About 65 local, state and federal investigators are working on the case and several hundred interviews have been conducted, authorities said.

Maria Rodriguez, a former resident of the apartment complex, said she works with Jorelys' mother at a nearby poultry plant.

‘She was a very sweet girl,’ Rodriguez said as she held her own four-year-old daughter. ‘She was the type of little girl who likes her presence to be known. It's just so sad.’

Police have removed two other young children from the Rivera home over ‘concern about the supervision of Jorelys,’ said Lt. Jay Baker with the Cherokee County Sheriff's Department.

Baker said no charges were expected against the mother or the baby sitter.

A prayer vigil was held late Monday at the playground, where people left flowers, balloons and stuffed animals at a makeshift memorial for Jorelys.

A $15,000 reward has been issued for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the girl's killer.

‘We're following up on every single tip,’ Baker said.

Daily Mail, UK

Like tears in rain...
    Follow us on Twitter
    and facebook
    Link Directory

new

The 20-year-old man arrested today in connection with the killing of a seven-year-old girl lived and worked at the same apartment complex where she disappeared.

Ryan Brunn was a maintenance worker at the complex and tips from the public led investigators to him, investigators said.

Jorelys Rivera was abducted, stabbed and sexually assaulted before her body was thrown in a bin at the complex in Canton, Georgia.

Autopsy results showed the girl died of blows to the head.

Brunn doesn't have a criminal history but Georgia Bureau of Investigation director Vernon Keenan told reporters: 'We are confident that Brunn is the killer and that is why he is in custody.'

Prior to being arrested on murder charges today at 12.40 pm, Brunn had been under surveillance.

Jorelys Rivera was last seen on Friday evening at 5pm leaving a playground at her apartment complex.

The chief investigator into the death of Jorelys Rivera was so distraught over the girl's wounds he refused to describe them yesterday.

The seven-year-old girl, whose body was found in a Georgia dumpster, was bludgeoned, sexually assaulted and stabbed in a particularly vicious attack by a killer who police believe lives in her apartment complex.

Keenan said Brunn had keys to both the empty apartment and the trash compactor bin where Rivera's body was placed.

The wounds to her body were so severe Georgia Bureau of Investigation Director Vernon Keenan would not give any details.

Mr Keenan would only say she had blunt force trauma to the head and stab wounds and that the crime as a 'very horrific and brutal murder.'

Police said the girl was taken to a vacant apartment where she was sexually assaulted, stabbed and beaten to death.

The killer then threw Jorelys Rivera's brutally disfigured body into a trash bin near her home in Canton, Georgia where it was found by police.

It came about 60 to 90 minutes after she disappeared, he said.

This was a very calculated and planned crime,’ Keenan said. 'A child who dies under extreme violence is absolutely the worst thing that can happen to a human being.'

DNA evidence had been collected from the child's body and the vacant apartment.

Rivera was last seen on Friday afternoon, and her body was discovered around 12.30 pm on Monday.

Police and volunteers had spent the weekend combing the area around the apartment complex playground where she was last seen.

At the time of her disappearance, the child was being looked after by a teenage babysitter along with her two siblings.

She had left the park to go and collect drinks from home for her friends, and disappeared between the playground and her home at the River Ridge Apartments.

Brunn began working for the apartment complex last month, according to residents and his Facebook page. He had previously lived in Dahlonega, Georgia, and Dumfries, Virginia.

His mother, Karen-Ann Whiteley, filed for bankruptcy last month. She lives in Dahlonega, about 50 miles northeast of Canton where the killing happened.

In July, when Florida resident Casey Anthony was acquitted on charges she killed her daughter, Brunn wrote on Facebook that Anthony will 'get hers'.

Nancy Hudgins, 57, who lives near trash bin where Rivera's body was found, said she talked with Brunn on Monday as police searched apartments in the complex for clues.

She said Brunn told her that he was nervous about allowing officers into his apartment because he had beer bottles and is not of legal drinking age.

'He was just kind of scared about them going in,' she said.

Police had sent several Coca-Cola cans found nearby for forensic testing to see if these are the drinks that the child had gone to collect for her friends.

Jorelys' mother Joselin Rivera had made an emotional plea for her return and her father, who lives in Florida, had flown to the city in Cherokee County.

A friend translated for Spanish-speaking Mrs Rivera to local TV station 11alive.com.

She said her daughter was 'friendly, sweet, had lots of friends and everyone just loved her'.

Keenan said investigators have received numerous tips from the public and said valuable evidence has come from residents at the apartment complex.

Several sex offenders living at the complex have been identified and interviewed, Keenan said.

But he added: ‘We have no reason to believe, at this point, that sex offenders are involved.’

About 65 local, state and federal investigators are working on the case and several hundred interviews have been conducted, authorities said.

Maria Rodriguez, a former resident of the apartment complex, said she works with Jorelys' mother at a nearby poultry plant.

‘She was a very sweet girl,’ Rodriguez said as she held her own four-year-old daughter. ‘She was the type of little girl who likes her presence to be known. It's just so sad.’

Police have removed two other young children from the Rivera home over ‘concern about the supervision of Jorelys,’ said Lt. Jay Baker with the Cherokee County Sheriff's Department.

A prayer vigil was held late Monday at the playground, where people left flowers, balloons and stuffed animals at a makeshift memorial for Jorelys.

Daily Mail, UK

Like tears in rain...
    Follow us on Twitter
    and facebook
    Link Directory

Thread Information